Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Time for Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Time for Upgrades

Rudy, we all can tell you what to do, but in the end it is your money

if you scroll to the top and look at the second post, Steve listed quite a few mods to do that will improve the overall power without haveing to fear about dammage as long as you stay within reason.

I know it has probably been said, but gages, gages, gages. these are very usefull even on a stock truck.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:40 PM
rudy_t2004
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

Be additicitive and start sucking the money right out of your wallet
an additiction for which there is no cure... [sm=icon_rock.gif]
Steve what kind of gas mileage are you getting?

Old 01-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Drew
Professional

ahem. . .17-19.5 unloaded here

and yes I am getting better mileage with my box than without it.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:12 PM
rudy_t2004
Rookie

Guys I really hate having to ask all these repetitve questions and looking like an idiot but I'm a newbie to diesel and want to figure everything out. My fear is that I spend money on some thing and then later on when I become knowledgeable be pissed at myself for spending money on something retarted.

That being said.....

Drew if im not mistakin your running the TST is that correct? And I understand that yall can tell me what to get and thats really what Im wanting b/c again I dont know what to buy. Granted I've ordered the S&B Intake and Aero 4040xl, my next thing was the engine management.

Now if any of you have questions about a Subaru WRX STi I can certainly point you on what you need to do. Being that I previously owned one.

Thanks again,

Rudy

Old 01-19-2007, 06:13 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Drew

Rudy, we all can tell you what to do, but in the end it is your money

if you scroll to the top and look at the second post, Steve listed quite a few mods to do that will improve the overall power without haveing to fear about dammage as long as you stay within reason.

I know it has probably been said, but gages, gages, gages. these are very usefull even on a stock truck.
Did Drew forget to mention to add Gauges? Seriously, Gauges, Gauges, Gauges. Not only will they give you a good idea of what is going on with your HIGH dollar power plant, they make you feel like you are piloting a 747! Plus adding Gauges BEFORE modding, will allow you to see the effects of your mods after you have added them.

I would start with a nice SRT10 pillar from Genos Garage (around 50 bucks) and a nice Westach Combo EGT and 60PSI boots gauge (199.00). It looks awsome in the truck! Plus Genos gives you a nice way to take in Boost pressure with an RTL adapter. Don't be scared of the install. Heck, If I can install this stuff a monkey can! (insert pic from Mayfair here).

Old 01-19-2007, 06:42 PM
Drew
Professional

dang. . .thats being harsh there

One of the guys I work with has a STi, that little thing can haul ****!!! not bad for a flat 4

Yes I am running the TST and love it. it is a timeing duration box. these are the best boxes to use since all you are doing is altering parameters that the engine is already doing. no extra pressure from the pump to kill the injectors, however on the higher settings you will need more pressure since it will drain the rail VERY quick, but if you leave it low you wont have to worry about it.if I had to go back again I would have gotten the R49 with all the bells and whistles, however since I have my R39 I aint giving it up. If you have an auto, a new valve body is needed. your 48RE will become a new beast and realy shine.

I do have to ask one question though before I go too much farther. . .what is your ultamate goal for your truck, get good mileage, yet on occasion not afraid to light the tires, or are you going after monster power, or just mileage and driveability?

Old 01-19-2007, 07:23 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

Hey don't take me out of context there! Damn internet. hehehhe. I meant for Mayfair to insert a pictureof a Monkey not that Mayfair isa Monkey.Pleasepoint your chimp jokes at me!

Old 01-19-2007, 07:32 PM
cumminalong

Ask and you shall recieve Monkey Boy!

[IMG]local://upfiles/39492/4BDEE66F78514AE1906A0CC98F947718.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-19-2007, 07:48 PM
rudy_t2004
Rookie

One of the guys I work with has a STi, that little thing can haul ****!!! not bad for a flat 4

Yes I am running the TST and love it. it is a timeing duration box. these are the best boxes to use since all you are doing is altering parameters that the engine is already doing. no extra pressure from the pump to kill the injectors, however on the higher settings you will need more pressure since it will drain the rail VERY quick, but if you leave it low you wont have to worry about it.if I had to go back again I would have gotten the R49 with all the bells and whistles, however since I have my R39 I aint giving it up. If you have an auto, a new valve body is needed. your 48RE will become a new beast and realy shine.

I do have to ask one question though before I go too much farther. . .what is your ultamate goal for your truck, get good mileage, yet on occasion not afraid to light the tires, or are you going after monster power, or just mileage and driveability?
get good mileage, yet on occasion not afraid to light the tires is what im looking for. how much does the valve bodies run and what isitspurpose.

All together Iwant that with a 6 in lift, 20's and 37x13.50

Old 01-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Drew
Professional

running 6 inches of lift and 37 inch tires and your fuel mileage will be in the toilet. . .13-15 tops.

the valve body just increases line pressures inside the trans, this gives better holding force when you start pushing more through the it. however you still run the risk of melting the cltuch material inside if your not careful.

Quick Reply: Time for Upgrades