Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

starter shorting out

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007 | 10:57 AM
olddodge
|
Rookie
Default starter shorting out

89 ctd had trouble starting replaced contacts w/ Larryb's kit.This worked fine for 2 days started acting up all over again.When the switch is turned on all lights come on but when turned to the start position everything goes dead.If I leave it sit for a few minutes and turn the key back on the lights come back on try to start the same thing happens.Finally had to drift start it to get it home.when it was acting up I would take a hammer and hit the top of the starter to get it to start.Any suggestions. Thanks Bill

Old 01-21-2007 | 03:47 PM
MrSlug
Veteran
Default RE: starter shorting out

Maybe a stupid question, but have you removed the starter to get it tested? It could be the ground on the starter is worn and hitting it with a hammer make it contact it bit better. I bet Mr Drew would have some better ideas. I would PM him.

Old 01-21-2007 | 06:56 PM
cumminalong

Usually when you have to hit it with a hammer, the starter is pretty much toast and needs to be replaced or re-built.

I basically gets a dead spot and, like MrSlug said, you are not getting good contact.

I had an old FireChicken (Firebird) that had the same issue. Before I replaced the stater, it blew a few fusible links. Same thing though, you had the have somebody in the car trying to start it, then I'd hit it with a hammer and it would turn over.

Old 01-22-2007 | 07:44 PM
olddodge
|
Rookie

Thanks for the replys.Friend came over said it sounded like a bad ground so I took off the cables and cleaned them real good,put a charge on the battery hooked the cables back up and so far it is working fine.I'm hoping it was a combo of bad ground and weak battery.Thanks again,Bill

Quick Reply: starter shorting out