Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

I think Im going to try dual

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007 | 01:45 AM
GOD RAM IT
|
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think Im going to try dual

I think Im going to try dual aero turbines.
for two reasons. 1 I havent read anywhere that it has been done . 2 I think it would sound sweet and 3. because I want to see if the 4040xl I have will eliminate the drone everyone talks about when they install just one AERO without a cat.

I have an AERO 4040xl with the resonating doughnut in it. Im going to put that inplace of the cat. then Im going to have a 35" piece of straight pipe and then the 4040. I will be using band clamps so I can switch the two to see if I notice any differences.

what do you think?

Old 01-23-2007 | 04:10 AM
moconst
Veteran
Default RE: I think Im going to try dual

Sounds awesome, I like to hear how it turns out

Old 01-23-2007 | 12:23 PM
crazykidjj87
Veteran

what exactly is this drone everyone talks about? how bad is it? do it make your ears wanna pop kinda?? where is it like what rpm's or mph?

im getting an aero as soon as i save up the cash and the time. but if there is a terrible drone then i think i may reconsider. when/if i do get an aero it will go inplace of the stock muffler. and there is no cat on my truck. unless im looking in the wrong place? the only inturruption in my exhaust is the muffler as far as i can tell. any feedback is greatly appreciated.

also straight piping is an option. but how loud is it really? completely rediculous? and what about mpg's with straight piping?
1 last thing. does anyone know what size the exhaust is on my 03? would it be 3.5 or 4 inch? and i think ive read somewhere that the tailpipe may be .5 inch bigger than the rest of the exhaust. can anyone help?

Old 01-23-2007 | 01:16 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

is there any way to do a mileage comparison, before vs after? I think it's going to be interesting... [sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 01-23-2007 | 01:35 PM
GOD RAM IT
|
Record Breaker

Steve I will do a mileage check. I wish I had an EGT gauge to have that info as well but oh well.

Crazy kid. Ive done a lot of research on the "drone". it is usually at highway speeds, 40-60mph. But what I can gather is that the people that install the AERO in place of the cat and srtaight pipe the rest hear the drone and people that install the AERO in place of the muffler do not.
but this is all straight pipe.
Most people install a frefloww muffler to reduce the "drone".
Im wondering if dual Aeros will provide enough backpressure to reduce or eliminate the drone.
also on a side note. In my invesigations anyone that installed a 5" straight pipe kit said the drone was deafining. Many have actually switched back to 4" .
just an FYI

Old 01-23-2007 | 02:46 PM
crazykidjj87
Veteran

hummm. thanks for the info godramit. maybe what ill do then is cut the stock muffler out and see how i like that...just nothing. and if its too loud ill slap the aero in place of the stock muffler. its such a pain in the a$$ to try and get the "best combo" for your needs and to your likeing with out spending lots of money. im finding loads of information on this website and i love it because it has and im sure it will keep saving me tons of money.

Old 01-23-2007 | 02:59 PM
GOD RAM IT
|
Record Breaker

I am running a 4040 AERO in place of my stock muffler right now (with a cat) and it isnt loud enough for me.
That is the main reason why Im doing this

Old 01-23-2007 | 03:40 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I'm wondering why you are going to space the two so far apart? Why not just put one before the other? Isn't that what Aero recomends?

Old 01-23-2007 | 04:25 PM
GOD RAM IT
|
Record Breaker

because its easier.

this way I dont have to get the straight piped flared to fit over the stock pipe.

Old 01-23-2007 | 05:07 PM
Mayfair
Legend

The Aero is flared on both ends, so why couldn't you just leave a real small section of straight pipe between the two?

Aero -4" pipe - Aero - tailpipe

If I'm understanding you right, you want to go

Aero - 35" pipe - Aero - tail

Why the big gap between the two ??

Quick Reply: I think Im going to try dual