Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

EXAUST BRAKE?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007 | 03:35 PM
hummergreg
Default RE: EXAUST BRAKE?

I have a b and d exhaust brake on my semi,motorhome, and truck and they work flawlessly. Plus they have a great tech. department. You will save your brakes, and have peace of mind coming down steep hills without your foot mashed on the pedal.

Old 01-27-2007 | 06:19 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

I would find it hard to believe that an exhaust brake could cause any type of traction loss. And we don't have engine brakes on our motors. Just exhaust brakes.

I have seen a Jacobs engine brake apply so much braking force that it made the rear wheels shudder till the vehicle speed slowed down to match the tranny speed. You need a LOT of engine to create that much braking effort.........LOL.

Good luck with our rides.

Old 01-28-2007 | 04:50 AM
i11m10c2
Veteran

WAS WONDERING WHEN THAT WOULD START

Old 01-28-2007 | 06:15 PM
occupant
Amateur

I see applications for ISB and 24V models, does anyone make an exhaust brake for the 12V 94-98 trucks?

Old 01-28-2007 | 06:18 PM
Ralph78
Professional

[quote]ORIGINAL: gtxpooch

I'm confused, how does using the engine brake on a wet road cause a spin out?
The exhaust brake puts braking action on the rear wheels, and in slick conditions, the rear wheels will slide, especially if you are on a curve. The front wheels are getting no braking action, so you can spin out,(freely turning front wheels have more "side bite" than the rear wheels) which is not a good thing in a heavy pickup with a high center of gravity.

That is why I like my dually, lots of rubber on the road in the rear, and with positraction, I can get on the throttle and steer with the throttle to regain control if I do get a bit loose.

Ralph

Quick Reply: EXAUST BRAKE?