Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

What if i don't "Wait to Start " ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007 | 08:53 PM
Mayfair
|
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What if i don't "Wait to Start " ??

I've got a remote start for my truck, butI don't have it tied to my wait to start light so whenI push the button it fires up after about 2 seconds. It kinda bums me out that I have a feature that I can't even use when I'd like to use it most. So my question is ... what if I DON'T "Wait to Start" ?? What will happen?
Will it NOT start??
Will it harm anything if it does?

Old 01-30-2007 | 08:55 PM
sharx ram
Champion
Default RE: What if i don't "Wait to Start " ??

good question, from what Ive been told the new ones with out glow plugs its not that big of a deal, but mine waits till the light goes off before it starts.

Old 01-30-2007 | 09:01 PM
Mayfair
|
Legend

So you can't even turn it over until the light goes out?

I know I can ... I've done it before by accident.

Old 01-30-2007 | 09:02 PM
Monzsta

Depends on the temperature. Some remote starts look for the battery volts to rise, indicating a sucessful start. So it may simply crank for it's starting interval untill it starts or it doesn't. Most usually make 3 attempts, so it should start by then. Most remote starts are configurable, so get the book out and see if you can introduce a delay once the box turns the ignition on.

Old 01-30-2007 | 09:09 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

Mayfair,

Be cafefull man. I hear that there is a big robotic arm with a paddle in the steering colum. If you don't wait to start, you get spanked worse that a pledge at a frat party.

Old 01-30-2007 | 09:29 PM
PRam
Professional

I read some where that if you don't wait to start the heaters will not cycle on and off,
I believe it will just run rough because the heater is not heating the fuel in the filter housing.
Maybe not such a big deal if the block heater is plugged in, my wait to start light only runs a second or less if I've plugged her up.

paul

Old 01-30-2007 | 09:32 PM
sharx ram
Champion

ORIGINAL: MrSlug

Mayfair,

Be cafefull man. I hear that there is a big robotic arm with a paddle in the steering colum. If you don't wait to start, you get spanked worse that a pledge at a frat party.
You tell him Sluggo!!! hehehe
I can start it before the light goes out with the key, or with the remote, its all in how I hit the trigger on the remote start, theres a special sequence I hit to make it wait

Old 01-30-2007 | 09:53 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any remote starter should not crank until the WTS lamp has gone off.

I don't know about them electronic sissy engines, but on my 95', as soon as you turn the key, the heaters are energized. The WTS light goes out when the heaters cycle off. It would be a hard crank with both the starter AND the intake air heaters. Crank on the motor without waiting for the lamp to darken. You'll hear how the starter sounds weaker. Watch your voltage meter too. From one end to the other.LOL.

My engine starts every time if I decide not to wait. Just cranks a few more revolutions. But that's a 12 valve.

Good luck with ALL our rides.

Old 01-31-2007 | 03:35 AM
Mayfair
|
Legend

My alarm with the remote start was installed back in 98. At the time, they weren't programable to delay or to wait for the wait to start light to go out.

Demon, my truck is pretty much the same as yours. When I'm waiting for my wait to start light to go off, I'm in reality waiting for my heater to cycle. So if I'm understanding you right, starting my truck while the heater is also on will only make it a little harder on the batteries to start ... right?

Will it "hurt" anything by starting it that way? I don't want to shorten the life of either my batteries or my starter.

Thanks ...

Old 01-31-2007 | 10:16 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive cranked at 35F without letting the heaters heat up. . .that was a nice smoke show

some remote starters have an option for accessories like the grid heater and glow plugs that works with the light circuit and starts the engine once the light goes out.

but just as sluggo said. . .you still need to watch out for that paddle.

Quick Reply: What if i don't "Wait to Start " ??