Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

exhaust help please asap

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007 | 06:41 PM
bigassdodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust help please asap

i just got my aero 4040, went to the muffler shop in my hometown and they said no can do. we dont bend 4 inch pipe. no one in a 100 mile radius of where i live bends 4 inch pipe.does anyone make a prefab exhaust pipe to bolt the aero directly on?

also should i leave the cat on or take it off?

Old 02-02-2007 | 07:06 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: exhaust help please asap

removal of the cat is subject to your own states emissions laws. if you have no emissions testing where you live then yank that bad boy off.

what is your ultimate goal, cause you can always put the aroe in place of the cat and get a muffler delete pipe.

Old 02-02-2007 | 07:07 PM
aka_chewy
All Star

I ordered the muffler elimination pipe from Geno's garage and an aero off of ebay. What I am planning on doing is running the muffler delete for a week just to see what the results are. Then what I am plannin on is possibly cutting the flared part off the elimination pipe and placing the aero over that. My setup should have 3 clamps, one at the front of the aero, one to clamp the aero over the elimation pipe and one at the end of the elimination pipe. Hopefully that made sense.

As far as the cat, I don't have one but I think the general concensus is get rid of it.

Old 02-02-2007 | 07:12 PM
bigassdodge

ORIGINAL: Drew

removal of the cat is subject to your own states emissions laws. if you have no emissions testing where you live then yank that bad boy off.

what is your ultimate goal, cause you can always put the aroe in place of the cat and get a muffler delete pipe.

i live in wv drew. no emissions here.my ultimategoal is to get this muffler on my truck with the least amount of cost and with the most performance gains. what is the benefit to running the aero where the cat is?
will it be louder with this setup

Old 02-03-2007 | 03:42 AM
htgriffith
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bigassdodge,

When I did my muffler delete with a 4" pipe I did not bend may pipe. I cut the muffler off and placed the pipe in it's place. It will not line up perfect. You will have a gap. So being that I wonted the tail pipe away from my mud flap I dropped the tail pipe down about 2" and back about 2". The delete pipe then had a very small gap to fill witch was easy to do with my mig welder. When I dropped the tail pipe down this was done with a muffler strap to the very last tail pipe bracket.I did not need to bend anything.Like I said you will have a gap. But a good muffler hand will fill itin.

Old 02-03-2007 | 07:43 PM
usafr
All Star

No one that I've heard of can bend 4". You shouldn't need to bend any, mine fit right in place of the muffler. I don't understand why they would have to bend it.

Old 02-03-2007 | 08:12 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

not sure what the problem is here... cut out the old muffler and insert the new muffler... if you need a chunk of 4" pipe, summit racing sells it cheep...

Old 02-03-2007 | 09:40 PM
bigassdodge

i couldnt understand why they couldnt just put a piece of 4 inch in and clamp the muffler on. they are idiots at this place. i called them today they sell 4 inch pipe but its not flared and they cant flare it there.

i think im just going to buy a muffler delete pipe, take the cat off, put the muffler where the cat is, put the delete pipe on and be done with.

Old 02-03-2007 | 09:42 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

a muffler shop that cant flare pipe??? go find another one.

Old 02-03-2007 | 09:52 PM
bigassdodge

ive called everywhere within a 100 mile radius. no one can flare 4 inch. i called a couple heavy truck shops. they have it flared but it costsan arm and leg. i can get the delete pipe for 49.99

Quick Reply: exhaust help please asap