Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Slow warm up and little heat

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 01:25 PM
johna20376
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow warm up and little heat

I just bought my first diesel Saturday and I have a few questions. New 06 Cummings and it takes at least twenty minutes of driving before the temp gauge comes off of 140 deg. Very little heat. I'm used to my Hemi that would heat up quick no matter how cold it was and the heater would run you out.Does anybody know what the normal operating temp should be and even though it's butt cold where I am shouldn't I be able to at least get warm air after driving for 25 minutes? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

John

Old 02-05-2007, 01:58 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Default RE: Slow warm up and little heat

You will need to go buy a winter front that is the only way to help heat up a one half ton of cast iron engine with 7 gallons of anti freeze in it. I can related to what hapens to you as last night I had my winter front closed compleatly off and it was -15 below zero and I had it running for 3-4 minutes at 1100 RPM and then drove it about 4 miles home at speeds between 30 & 55 mph and it never saw above 160. With out a winter front at very cold temps it is very hard to heat your engine up with out a winter front so go buy on as soon as you can. You can find them on E-bay or at your local Dodge dealer for about $120.00

Old 02-05-2007, 08:18 PM
johna20376

Thanks I had a feeling it was something like this. The dealer told me the same thing although they suggested if it gets below zero like it has been to plug it in a few hours before I drive and try this.

Thanks

John

Old 02-05-2007, 09:49 PM
dillyw
Professional

Man i really dont like that an short drives , dosent warm up!

Old 02-05-2007, 11:02 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

I hate it too but if I did not have the winter front I bet it would not of warmed up to even 140. Also one reason why I will drop my oil sooner then normal (3500 miles) just to be on the safe side.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:59 PM
dixiedodge7369
Professional

yea i have the block heater and a home made winter front a piece of cardboard..
and it still takes a good 20 minutes... i invested in a set of butt warmers... heated seats are a must in cold weather... if you go to heatedseatkits.com they are pretty good warm up asap. deff a must

Old 02-06-2007, 02:33 AM
jakebrake
Champion

I just freeze my *** off and use a spot light to de ice the windshield. Although it's warmed back up now. time for the rain

Old 02-06-2007, 02:22 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: dixiedodge7369

yea i have the block heater and a home made winter front a piece of cardboard..
and it still takes a good 20 minutes... i invested in a set of butt warmers... heated seats are a must in cold weather... if you go to heatedseatkits.com they are pretty good warm up asap. deff a must
Some cardboard in front of the radiator is not the same as having a winter front. A winter front will cover the whole front end of the engine compartment and allow only a small amount of air to the radiator through 4 flaps that are held open by velcro. Setting for 20 minutes waiting for it to warm up is a big waste of fuel. Also I hope you have the engine running at least 1200 RPM's if not your taking a big chnace of hurting your engine if it were to wet stack. With a winter front all you need to do is let the oil flow for 2-3 minutes and then drive slow for the first 1/4 to 1/2 mile and then drive ( and don't put your foot to the floor) an you will have 60 plus degree heat in 2 miles if driving @55 MPH at temps down to zero or I should say I can with mine anyway.

One other thing is I use 5w40 synthetic oil so I don't have to worry about oil flow or start up problems in cold temps like I would if I had heavy 15w40 in it. I've talked to one person close by and his Cummins would not start as it still had 15w40 in it. He had to push it in to the garage to heat it up before it would turn over fast enought to start.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I thought 5w 40 was heavier than 15w 40

Quick Reply: Slow warm up and little heat