Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

transmission worries?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 11:35 PM
finny
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission worries?

i just bought a 2001 used ctd with an automatic transmission. the truck has 119,000 kilometers on it should i be worried about the transmission failing soon? If not how much life do i have left in it?

Old 02-18-2007, 12:23 PM
sabersix
Default RE: transmission worries?

I bought used also and the best you can do is just perform the preventive maintenance and hope for the best. I wouldn't worry about it. If it goes, it goes. Just remember, you didn't have to pay $40-50K for the truck new. Buying it used is always more cost effective IMO.

Good luck.

Old 02-18-2007, 02:16 PM
caytos

If my conversion is right that's < 75000 miles. 12500 miles per year, not bad. Does it have a gooseneck or 5th wheel? If not then it probably hasn't seen much heavy towing. Otherwise if the truck wasn't modified when you bought it then I would go with the tranny being ok. Do a fluid and filter change in it at least.

Old 02-18-2007, 02:56 PM
finny
All Star

thanks for the help.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:30 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

worth a read:

http://www.dieseltrans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=33

much other good info at this website

Old 02-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Ralph78
Professional

I would increase the frequency of transmission fluid/filter changes to every 15,000 miles. Especially if you are going to tow anything.

Once you experience transmission/torque converter problems, have the transmission rebuilt and beefed up by a GOOD transmission ship experienced in Dodge truck transmissions. Have the shop install an "AST 5 Star Torque Converter" and "Commander Lockup Controller", also have a large aftermarket transmission pan installed. If you are pulling anything heavy, or jump on it alot, have a "Billet" input shaft installed when the shop does the transmission.

If you do the above and change the trans. fluid every 15,000 miles you will be bullet proof, and will get many many years of good service from your truck's transmission.

Ralph

Old 02-19-2007, 05:09 PM
CutterW
Captain

I'm starting Diesel Mech school in a couple months so I'm kinda tryin to learn about trannys and what I dont know so its easy for me in the next few years, but I was wonderin how much trouble it'd be to change from a auto to a manual 6spd in an 01 2500 4x4 with a cummins. My auto is starting toquit on me. I've worked on engines and about everything else but a tranny so I aint real big knowing on them. J/W what others who might have done tranny's thought

Old 02-20-2007, 01:25 AM
finny
All Star

thanx guys i will try your suggestions.

o and cutter i was wondering the same thing.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:56 PM
jakebrake
Champion

i've been working on that swap for a while now, but **** keeps coming up. Spending too much money lately to buy the parts I need.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:01 AM
CutterW
Captain

I'm transfering from college to tech school to finish off what I know, so I'll know in a year. And thats if I dont get a new pickup while in college, cause I would like to have classes half the day then find a truck shop to work at to help further my knowledge. Right now all I know is engines and electrical for the most part.

Quick Reply: transmission worries?