Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

E17 Recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 03:27 PM
vsound
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default E17 Recall

I tried doing a search, but I couldn't find where anything has been discussed about this ridiculous recall. For those that are not aware, the recall is for an "out-of-park-alarm" on 03-05 2500 diesels with the auto tranny. The work that is done for the recall is to install a new flash in the computer to look for a) truck is in reverse, b) foot is off the brake, and c) door is open. Well, the problem is, that numerous people, including me, quite frequently need to back up under those conditions. When those condition occur, the horn starts blowing and the lights start flashing. The result is neighbors being disturbed or woken up, having to explain to people why your truck is going crazy, etc. I had my truck in for other warranty work, and the dealer installed it without asking me. Now I am furious that they won't reverse the procedure and get the truck back to the way it was.

Apparently, there were a few older men (according to NHTSA) that couldn't properly get the vehicle into park, and as a result some people got injured or killed (2, I think). NHTSA did not mandate any changes because they found no problem with the vehicle and attributed it to user error. However, DC in their infinite wisdom decided to do this so-called fix anyway. It's a ridiculous recall and it has numerous people upset, yet DC won't do anything about it.

Are there any others who have had this expereince? Anyone have any thoughts as to how to reverse this recall since DC won't do it (yet, anyway)?

Old 02-22-2007, 04:12 PM
joepascoe19
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E17 Recall

Ihave a 2006 ram 2500 CTD and the first time this happend i allmost fell out of the truck bacause the horn and lights were going off it did wake me up tho it was 3 am and i wasent too awake myself.they do need to amke somthing to desable this feature

Old 02-22-2007, 04:48 PM
Drew
Professional

kill switch on the horn maybe???

Old 02-22-2007, 05:05 PM
vsound

ORIGINAL: Drew

kill switch on the horn maybe???
Yes, that one's been suggested on other forums. If it comes down to it, I will actually install a relay on the horn that will be controlled by the door sensor. Therefore if the door is open, the horn is deactivated, and vice versa, door closed - horn is active. I can wire in a toggle switch parallel to allow me to reactivate the horn when the door is open if need be.

However, I shouldn't have to go to all this trouble to deactivate an unwanted feature on a $30,000+ truck (that was installed without my consent).

The following users liked this post:
scag52 (11-13-2023)
Old 02-22-2007, 08:03 PM
PRam
Professional

My computer was reflashed without my knowledge during warranty work also, it is annoying, all they have to do is to reload the original program into their machine a reflash the thing again, but some corporate lawyer would lose his mind.

paul

Old 02-22-2007, 09:14 PM
vsound

ORIGINAL: PRam

My computer was reflashed without my knowledge during warranty work also, it is annoying, all they have to do is to reload the original program into their machine a reflash the thing again, but some corporate lawyer would lose his mind.

paul
Have you called them about it? If we get enough people complaining they will be more likely to do something about it.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:32 PM
handymanherb
Banned

I glad mine don't do that, I want to have my fast idle turned on, but I don't want them to turn that junk on as I have to hook to my trailer most every day

Old 02-23-2007, 05:48 AM
cracker
Rookie

I came close to hitting my gooseneck the first time this happend to me. I am like the rest of you, this should be a customer preferance. They leave out the things we can use and give no choice about retarded features like this.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:28 AM
Drew
Professional

you can sign a waiver to not have it installed, however once it's on you cannot take it off.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:47 PM
Ralph78
Professional

I have a neighbor with a 2005 RAM 2500 reg. cab. CTD that had the stupid recall activated, without his knowing it, when he took the truck in for a warranty item. We wired a small column mounted togle switch into the horn circut, and solved the problem. What a Pain in the A**. I'm sure glad I have an older truck without all of the smog and "Nanny State" CR** on it.

Ralph

Quick Reply: E17 Recall