Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Lets end the Hype

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 02:03 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lets end the Hype

I'm not sure how they go, but I do know that go out with some impressive results. it could be the vanes get stuck which then overspeeds the turbo.

oil frothing is just that, it foams. the engine oil is used to fire the injectors, and it is fed to the injectors under high pressure. if the wrong oil is used air will enter the pump and cause an air lock. it gets nasty from there.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:31 AM
cumminalong
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the Fords (don't ask how I know, uhhhhhh, dad's previous 6.0) the problem with the turbo's is th EGR crap gums up the vanes and they stick and the turbo surges like mad and eventually comes apart or blows it's own oil seals.

Pop's truck was in th eshop umpteen times, for all the various 6.0 recalls, reflashes, turbos, oil leaks, coolant puking, etc. What a piece of crap. They ended up replacing the truck with an '06 6.0. He drove my, as he called it (notice, "called" it) Cummapart, for the first time yesterday and now he keeps talking about it in a much different light. I see a new CTD in the family very soon.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:24 PM
ramspeed
Rookie

Have owned a chevy with converted diesel...junk,had a ford without turbo,don't want to get in trouble for saying this,but that truck was gay.....loved to blow head gaskets.
Another ford with turbo,didn't keep it but a years and bye-bye to it.
94 ram... the only real problem,was once the return line was wearing thin and sucking air.....made it had to start...sold it feb 06 with over 350k on it,still see it around town.
If I had known about this forum,would still be driving it(with the help you get here)...thanks guys!!!!!!!
The 06 is a beast and look forward to alot of years of good service.Love matting it and slowly backing off the pedal and that beast flying down the hwy.

later tater

Old 02-26-2007, 03:59 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I was going to trade my CTD in on a Ford 450 after the lift pump died, the alternator caught on fire and the clutch went south all in a 3 week period. I found this forum and have fixed the few problems with better after market parts now the thing blows the doors off of the other Ford 350 and 450's that I travel with. They keep joking with me about when I plan on trading it in on a real truck. I just tell them that I'll still have the CTD when they trade in their Ford's on something else.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:04 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

ive driven the duramax i dont find them to be that quick i guess they are the quickest STOCK though but their six speed is annoying to drive it had the shift points of the semi next to me

Old 02-26-2007, 11:21 PM
crazykidjj87
Veteran

i had never driven a CTD, only PSD (in an excursion) and a d-max. then i found this fourm when i had my gasser dodge and i got lookin into the CTD and this forum sold me, so i went out and bought one. the ford was just garbage. no *****, slow throttle response, slow acceleration, wouldnt pull up hills, wouldnt accelerate on the highway. so i just pretend ford doesnt exist. but IMO the d-max was a deffinately faster and the throttle response seemed a little quicker. the cummins is a little slow and the response seems a wee bit slower than the d-max but it has the power. the d-max wanted me dead when i tried (key word tried, it wouldnt do it) to smoke the tires, the CTD only begs for more. so all in all as im sure many others would agree, the cummins is overall a better motor/truck

just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Lets end the Hype