Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Lets end the Hype

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 09:52 PM
danthetigerfan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets end the Hype

I would like to know without a doubt who makes the fastest stock diesel truck! Dodge CTD, Ford Power smoke, or the Chevy D-Lax.
Honest answers only. Speak the truth not with the hearts. Thanks.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:15 PM
jakebrake
Champion
Default RE: Lets end the Hype

I've ridden in all in stock form (years between 2001 and 2002) and I would say that chevy was fastest, but my cummins can tow more

Old 02-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Ben D.
Champion

yea chevy prolly fastest but aluminum block plus heads is a no no. (or are they just aluminum heads can't remember). Plus they don't have the low end torque that cummins does. The powerstroke is aight but has issues.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:51 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chevy is all aluminum to save on weight. I think it has iron sleeves, but not sure. but one thing is true. . .aluminum heads on a diesel is a BIG NO NO.

but that said, off the lot, chevy is the quickest hands down, then ford, then dodge. however, put 12K behind each one and see who wins

Old 02-24-2007, 01:13 AM
Ben D.
Champion

but truly when your looking for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck if ur buying factor is speed then well you shouldn't be buying a heavy duty work truck. Personally i'm nota speed demon and i'm more of a grunt work loving person. Brute strength simply amazes me escpecially when an engine can do it at such low rpm's as a diesel. Also cummins is legendary in the diesel world. I'm so happy a guy my dad works with is taking a trip down to either south carolina or north carolina to go to the cummins plant down there. the guy is a family friend and he invited us to go along since he knows ima big fan of cummins turbo diesel. I really wanna go but missing a week of school would be rough since my schedule is so packed. hopefully i can make it down.

Also drew here is something that puzzles me. Everyone likes to say dodge has such problems and stuff. but whne you look at our forum most topics arn't about issues but are more about adding power or making stuff look more agressive (ie lifts tires). Yet whenever i'm on ford forum since my mom has a problem riddin ford escape try to get help over there. all the topics i see are about problems. Seems like dodge is the mroe reliable if you ask me. Also what are some of the problems that people have with the other diesels ie. the psd and duramax

Old 02-24-2007, 01:22 AM
jakebrake
Champion

isuzu has steel sleeves, bores would wear out way too quick if it wasn't sleeved. when I think aluminum heads and block, I think of blown alcohol dragsters or european sports cars, not diesel pickups.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:30 AM
Watermelon
Captain

Thse Max"s cant touch my CTD with a load. If their stock like mine. But red to red Id go with the Max.The fords dont count anymore.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:31 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with the PSD and duramax, the main issues are mostly injectors just like us. now granted not many on this board have injector issues, but across the board we have about the same number of injector problems as the other two guys.

specifics, the d-max LLY has a serious problem with overheating, injector cups tend to blow out, the pistons like to melt, and dont get me started on the glow plugs. Ford. . .well. . .we all know too well the issues there, however the same remains true, use the wrong type of oil and it will froth killing the oil pump and the injectors. the 6.0 drives the turbo that is used VERY hard and literaly to the max even at 1/4 throttle. blowing turbos is a big thing with them. and last the head gaskets blow when you go much over 450hp. the d-max and big C can both push the stock head gasket past 550. and once again, dont get me started on the glow plugs.

ford, the trannies are good, but stil leave alot to be desired, chevy, that allison cloneis a VERY good unit off the shelf, however the engine is the weak point, Dodge, the tranny is good off the shelf, however turn up the juice and you'll need some work, but then engine is the least problemattic of all.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:47 AM
Ben D.
Champion

oil frothing?? you have my attention master. What is oil frothing. The oil like turns to foam or something?? Never heard of this and it peaks my interest

Old 02-24-2007, 01:50 AM
jakebrake
Champion

do the 6.0 turbos blow up, or do the vanes stick??? on all the medium duty trucks with the 365 the vanes stick do to carbon build up so they need to be reconditioned.

Quick Reply: Lets end the Hype