Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Nice 2 hrs @ the stealer!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 01:11 AM
bert0168
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice 2 hrs @ the stealer!

So I was at the stealership today to get some options turned on and my ECM reflashed for fuel mileage issues. Here is how it went:

There is a TSB (18-037-04) "Fues economy improvement, White smoke on start up, Accuracy of fuel mileage in Overhead console display" This is for 2004-2005 5.9L CTD engines serial # 57130285 to 57246361 manufactures from 12/10/03 to 8/17/04

This is supposed to give you an MPG improvement of 1 MPG [&o]and stop white smoke on cold startups below 50 deg F. We'll see about the MPG improvement with my next full tank though I went in today getting about 10.5 per gal[:@]

I also asked to have the high idle turned on which the said they did but I can't seem to get it to work. Is it Truck on+in Park+Cruise on then push Set and it pushes it up to 1000 rpm? I tried it this eve and couldn't get it on.

I asked to have the Power on with Key off option activated and first the service rep asked me what the he!! that was then the tech claimed he couldn't find it in the computer module. Anybody have any ideas on this one?

Lastly I asked to NOT have the horn safety crap put on if it came up. Rep said it was no problem to leave that off if it came up.Tech came back and saidthe option had been previously turned off, meaning it was on there before I purchased it new and then was removed. So that crap about not being able to turn it off appears to be just that, crap.

All this I had done for $80 (did I say itWAS at the stealership) and I only got one out of three completed unless I am operating the high idle wrong.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:15 AM
SpLaT
Captain
Default RE: Nice 2 hrs @ the stealer!

bert0168, to get the high idle to work set cruise control "on" then hit the "accelerate" button to go from 1000 to 1500 rpm.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:57 AM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start the truck, push cruise "ON" then push "SET" it should immediately go to 110 rpm.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:23 PM
usafr
All Star

The high idle thing is kindascrewy. When I activate mine with my Bully Dog, both times it didn't work right off. Then suddenly it started working. I would just bring it back and have them do it again and see what happens.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:24 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

If the dummy was to look on his star tool he could find the Power on with Key off option to have it activated, I know as I had it turned on in my 2006 a long with the high idle that works with the cruise control. If they say they set high idle it should work in either park or N so long as you don't have your foot on the break. If it does not then they my of not turned it on as mine works the first time I tried it before I left the dealers parking lot.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:27 PM
dave_thunderroad

well when i purchased my truck it does it automatically????when its real cold and im sitting in park at idle it will go up and if i hit the brake or whatever it just goes back to its normal self..

Old 03-01-2007, 03:37 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: dave_thunderroad

well when i purchased my truck it does it automatically????when its real cold and im sitting in park at idle it will go up and if i hit the brake or whatever it just goes back to its normal self..
All CTD have a self high idel. What we are talking about is a manula high idel that you can turn on with the cruise control and adjust the engine speed from 1,000 to 1500 RPM's any time you want while parked.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:01 PM
firemansdodge
Professional

My truck high idle kicks in about 8-10 min in park. Goes from 700 rpm to 1100.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:03 PM
cumminalong

All of them have the auto high idle, this is for warm up purposes. The manual high idle must be enabled by the dealer and is used to power PTO accessories or to get extra juice from the alternator for accessories like winches.

Step 1 - Have it enabled
Step 2 - Vehicle must be in park or neutral w/ parking brake on. If it's in park it does not need the parking brake
Step 3 - Turn the cruise control on
Step 4 - Hit the set button. This will jump your RPM's up to 1100.
Step 5 - Use accel button to bring RPM's up. Use decel button to bring RPM's down. The lowest it will go is 1100.
Step 6 - Turn it off by either stepping on the brake, tuning the cruise control off, or putting the vehicle into gear.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

All of them have the auto high idle, this is for warm up purposes.
Even the 2nd gens ??

Quick Reply: Nice 2 hrs @ the stealer!