Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Front Diff Leaking/Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 07:18 PM
rudy_t2004
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Diff Leaking/Vibrations

QUESTION/COMMENT!!!!

I just had my 6in Superlift Suspension Kit Installed and prior to puttin on my 37x13.50x20 i would get vibrations from 60 thru 70mph, once i put the new wheels and tires it starts at 60mph and runs thru 65mph. The bad part is that my front transfercase looks as if is is seaping oil thru the rear seal. I called my local dodge dealership and they adv me that I was steal under waranty, but once i told him about the lift he paused and said, why dont you bring it in and we will take a look at it. I then told the representative that it would be a waste of my time to do that and know that chrysler would decline my waranty b/c of the lift. I then asked how much the part cost and was told $14 so I went over and bought the seal.
My question is if there is anyone on here that can give me a walk thru on how to install the front differentials ring and pinion seal. It doesnt seem very hard to do but any help would be appreciated.

Rudy

Old 03-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Front Diff Leaking/Vibrations

just so this can be visualized easier. . .could you by chance toss up some pictures of where it is leaking.

my first thought is the cover gasket. . .that is easy, but this sounds a bit more involved.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:28 PM
cumminalong

Doing a gear set install on your daily driver IS NOT a first timer job.

Short Cut Route:

Remove the front d-shaft. Count the number of threads on the pinion shaftthat are sticking out past the pinion nut and use a torque wrench (balance beam type) to measure the amount of torque it takes to break the pinion nut loose (this is your pinion pre-load). Once you do this, pull the yoke and pull the old seal out. Apply some gear oil to the new seal and install.....VERY GENTLY.

Then put the yoke back on and tighten the pinion nut back down to the TQ spec that it took to break it free. Re-install d-shaft.

Again, that is the SHORT CUT and is better for an off-road only truck or trailer queen.

The proper way to do is is to do a complete gear install / setup. This takes a few specialized tools and is way too involved to explain right here, but will result in a lot longer gear life. Again, this is not a first timer job. Save yourself (and your wallet) the headache of your front diff locking up at highway speed and get it done right.

As for the vibration..... how many miles are on the truck?

It could be one ofthree things...

1 - The gear set is toast, but this would also casue a whining noise along with the vib
2 - The u-joint(s) in the front d-shaft are toast. This will cause a noticeable vib.
3 - The wheel bearings are shot (my guess). This cost between $240 - $400 per side for a new unit bearing assembly.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

Doing a gear set install on your daily driver IS NOT a first timer job.

Short Cut Route:

Remove the front d-shaft. Count the number of threads on the pinion shaftthat are sticking out past the pinion nut and use a torque wrench (balance beam type) to measure the amount of torque it takes to break the pinion nut loose (this is your pinion pre-load). Once you do this, pull the yoke and pull the old seal out. Apply some gear oil to the new seal and install.....VERY GENTLY.

Then put the yoke back on and tighten the pinion nut back down to the TQ spec that it took to break it free. Re-install d-shaft.

Again, that is the SHORT CUT and is better for an off-road only truck or trailer queen.

The proper way to do is is to do a complete gear install / setup. This takes a few specialized tools and is way too involved to explain right here, but will result in a lot longer gear life. Again, this is not a first timer job. Save yourself (and your wallet) the headache of your front diff locking up at highway speed and get it done right.

As for the vibration..... how many miles are on the truck?

It could be one ofthree things...

1 - The gear set is toast, but this would also casue a whining noise along with the vib
2 - The u-joint(s) in the front d-shaft are toast. This will cause a noticeable vib.
3 - The wheel bearings are shot (my guess). This cost between $240 - $400 per side for a new unit bearing assembly.
Ditto could't of said it better.Unless you have setup gears before don't try it on the daily driver.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Drew
Professional

one more thing to add to the vibrations would be the drive shaft being out of ballance, however you would feel that over a wider range of RPM's. but it is something else to look at.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:17 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

It's an 06' right? 6 inches of lift? Any chance the drive shaft angle is too steep now and the u joint is binding if there is any major travel in the suspension? That would wear the output shaft and the seal on the t-case or tranny.

But what exactly is leaking again? You mention two different components? Not breakin chops, just clarifying.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:10 AM
rudy_t2004
Rookie

ok. well if you are looking at the transfercase there is a wet spot where the front drive shaft connects to the tcase. I will post up pictures later on today, another question i have is how long would is it gonna take this tree shade mechanic?

Rudy

Quick Reply: Front Diff Leaking/Vibrations