Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

RE48 Transmission Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 03:37 AM
Bigriver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE48 Transmission Upgrade

Hello All, First time poster, long time reader here. I've read this end of the forum here since Aug. of 06' when I bought my 06' 3500 4x4 Mega Dually. No doubt that the answers to my questions are buried in the back pages somewhere, but I thought I'd ask for the latest and greatest opinions of the here and now.
I tow on occasion a 17,000 lbs fifth wheel camper around these southern states that I live. I'm planning a trip this summer to the upper rockies and I'm strongly considering upgrading a few componets of the truck.
To begin with but not necessarily in this order, I'm interested in a power programer to unleash the beast under the hood, a tranmission that can transfer all that to the pavement, and lastly a increased brake system to stop the damn thing when I need to!
So, are there any opinions on :
a) transmission upgrade
b) exhaust brake system
c) power programmer
I realize that covers a ton of discussion so I'll thank everyone in advance for their two dollar tour of monster diesel transformation. Also I must say that I've enjoy reading the colorful and helpful tips to date.
So bring it on, I'm ready be enlightened!

Old 03-10-2007, 03:59 AM
SpLaT
Captain
Default RE: RE48 Transmission Upgrade

You got the three picks right.. as for tranny I'd go with a tripple or five dics T/Q, valve body and deep tranny pan. Unless your going crazy with high HP then a built tranny most are good for up 800hp. I'd also add a cold air intake and do something with the exhaust! Definitely install the pac brake and save on brakes!!

Old 03-10-2007, 08:44 AM
cumminalong

Bigriver....Welcome to DF man!

Yup! Upgrade that torque converter to a 3 or 5 disk setup. That'll make a WORLD of different in how she pulls.

Upgrade the exhaust. Really all you need is a less restrictive muffler. The rest of the sytem is already 4" from the turbo back.

Upgrade the air intake. You don't necessarilly need a whole CAI. All I have is a drop in K&N and I'm yet to pull any restriction on it. Now the stock filter I could peg the filter minder pretty quick. Just get a good high flow filter of your choice and you'll be good.

Programmers.....ahhhhhh...be careful for towing applications. Even lightly loaded I can hit my EGT limiter if I have my Attitude set to 3/4 or 3/5 or higher. If you want to run it hot, make sure the first thing you get is a set of gauges so you can keep it all in check and not melt it down.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:05 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

before spending money
check out this website

http://dieseltrans.com/dodge/index.htm

especially read this post in the forum to begin your education about Dodge autos behind the Cummins:

http://www.dieseltrans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=33

there are other good transmission rebuilders
but the proof of Bill Kondolay's ideas on the 47 series
is that Dodge incorporated a lot of them into the 48RE design
after he had pioneered them since 1994

Old 03-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Charles Darwin
Rookie

How about the flex plate? I heard of one thattoasted the original flex plate, are there any upgrades to them?

Old 03-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Bigriver

It sounds like the majority of upgrade expenses will be dedicated to the transmission. Are there any opinions of trusted aftermarket companies with sound advice and products?
I wound imagine that any local and reputable transmission shop could install these upgrades.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:36 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Bigriver

Hello All, First time poster, long time reader here. I've read this end of the forum here since Aug. of 06' when I bought my 06' 3500 4x4 Mega Dually. No doubt that the answers to my questions are buried in the back pages somewhere, but I thought I'd ask for the latest and greatest opinions of the here and now.
I tow on occasion a 17,000 lbs fifth wheel camper around these southern states that I live. I'm planning a trip this summer to the upper rockies and I'm strongly considering upgrading a few componets of the truck.
To begin with but not necessarily in this order, I'm interested in a power programer to unleash the beast under the hood, a tranmission that can transfer all that to the pavement, and lastly a increased brake system to stop the damn thing when I need to!
So, are there any opinions on :
a) transmission upgrade
b) exhaust brake system
c) power programmer
I realize that covers a ton of discussion so I'll thank everyone in advance for their two dollar tour of monster diesel transformation. Also I must say that I've enjoy reading the colorful and helpful tips to date.
So bring it on, I'm ready be enlightened!
I'm just wondering other then the exhaust brake system, why worry about upgradeing the trans if its not giving you problems at this time? I've heard from Hot Shot trucks that have gotten over 250K miles out of the RE48 auto trans with out any problems.

You said you don't tow very much so why do you feel the need for a power programer? I know many trucks that haul heavy weight with out one and they don't have any problems and have no need for them. Also most people don't like the idea of voiding the warranty on there truck from installing a power program!

Old 03-10-2007, 11:13 PM
Bigriver

DBLR, I can understand your meaning there, why fix something that isn't broken ......yet?
No, I haven't had problems to date but I'd really hate like hell to die out on the interstate or mountains with my family with me. This is my first diesel truck, previous trucks have been 1/2 ton gas burners.
I'm just thinking that the tranny is likely the weakest link in the power train. My days of hot roddin were over in the eighties with my ole' 1980 Trans Am 400 / 4 speed. Not looking to squal the tires really, just reliable power when needed in the rockies of Colorado and Wyoming. I am open to suggestions, and I do appreciate everyones input. Thanks again all, please keep them coming as to which products are better than others.
And Cumminalong, thanks for the layin out the welcome mat!

Old 03-11-2007, 12:01 AM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: Bigriver
And Cumminalong, thanks for the layin out the welcome mat!
No problem at all....there's lot's of good folks hanging out in here with lots of good info.

I know what you mean about not wanting to wait for a problem to arise. I'm fully of the belief that if you know you are gonna tress something, beef it up from the get go. I guess it's the whole better to have and not need, than to need and not have mentality.

Realistically though, with your truck in stock configuration you shouldn't have any issues. But if you are gonna play with power, get a set of gauges before you do anything. Get a good baseline of what your truck does before making mod's, so you know what changes are making what effects.

For what you are talking about doing, I would do this before I make any major mod's:

1 - Gauges, gauges, gauges. Can't stress that enough. The idea is to make reliable power, not melt thigns down.

2- Tow the trailer and see if you are having any issues to begin with. If the trailer has brakes (and at that weight, it must), you won't really need an exhaust brake. Yes, it is definitely nice to have though.

3 - Airbags. Nothing like a stable platform to pull with.

4- Open up the intake and exhaust and get those EGT's as low as possible and let the engine breath.

5- A good 3 or 5 disk TC will make a HUGE different in the amount of power that you can put to the ground. And this doesn't hammer your drivetrain like a monster programmer, box, injectors, etc will.

6- A good, mild powered box (70 HP MAX for towing) will make the truck much more responsive. Again, gauges are a must as the EGT's can get up there in a hurry.

But I guess first and foremost, you are starting with a solid baseline that will most likely handle the job just fine. But we all like a little more power every now and then.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:34 AM
Bigriver

Cumminalong, Do you rely on the electronic readout gauges from the attitude module, or do you recommend the round analog style gauges?

Quick Reply: RE48 Transmission Upgrade