Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Need an auxillary fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Charles Darwin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need an auxillary fuel tank

I need a bigger fuel tank. If the spare tire is removed (who needs a spare tire anyway) I could install an auxillary diesel tank in there. The problem is, I still have to find one.
Anybody know about tanks? I'd rather not have it on upper deck...

Old 03-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker
Default RE: Need an auxillary fuel tank

ORIGINAL: Charles Darwin

I need a bigger fuel tank. If the spare tire is removed (who needs a spare tire anyway) I could install an auxillary diesel tank in there. The problem is, I still have to find one.
I would not recomend putting the tank where the spare was, if some idiot ricer hits you in the back and goes under you, you will have a big fire.
What I did on one of my old truck was to make a set of saddle tanks that used the space in front of and overthe wheel wells. (See Drawing)
That way I still had all 8' of bed floor to use.
If you still want to go under the back here is a link to a supplier.
http://stores.ebay.com/Competition-R...Q3amesstQQtZkm

[IMG]local://upfiles/56817/B5629C288EFD44BD95553760E79CB05D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-10-2007, 02:42 PM
handymanherb
Banned

Try this first, you might need that spare one day
http://www.transferflow.com/Dodge_mi...uel_tanks.html

I know there is more out there, just can't find them, one had a donut tank that sat over the spare and lowered your spare six inches

Old 03-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Ralph78
Professional

I realize you want to keep your bed clear, but I really like my Transferflow tank. They make several sizes, Mine came with the truck and @ 65 Gallons with a toolbox on top, is bigger than I would have installed myself. I don't have their web site link, but if you google Transferflow, you will get their web site. I know they make several sizes, I believe they currently have 35 and 50 gallon sizes and also have both sizes with a toolbox built into the top. Mine has the top of the toolbox about 1 inch over the bedrail, but eats up 2 feet of the bed. The current tanks are plumbed into the main tank, and have a fuel quantity display. You don't even have to switch tanks as the ax tank feeds the main tank as required. I like mine as I have a switch and can run either tank as I wish. My only problem is my AX tank reads through my regular fuel guage when you flip the switch, and is VERY inaccurate, it always shows more fuel than it should, so I just go by Miles on the tank. With 100 gallons of diesel on board, on a long trip I can fill up where the prices are lowest, and avoid filling up in states that have a lot of extra taxes on them, I always fill up before I hit the Calif. State line. LOL

Ralph

Old 03-10-2007, 08:03 PM
TheWizard
Professional

as mentioned Transfer Flow is VERY popular. also there a company called Aero Fuel Tanks that make tanks i cant vouch for quality on either but there you go.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Dharris

ORIGINAL: Charles Darwin

You might want to modify the vent on your original tank. You will only gain about 4-5 gal if that much additional fuel is worth it to you.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:04 AM
Bigriver

Hey Charles Darwin,
I have the Transferflo 50 gal. model in my shortbed truck . It came with the Trax II computer module mounted inside the cab.The module shows fuel in each tank along with the combined gallons. The gague on the dash shows the combined total number. The tank itself is short enough to use a tonneau cover if desired. No problems as of yet and I truely enjoy the added length of miles between fill ups. (The time of filling up is a drag though, $160.00 plus!)

Old 03-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Bigriver

Hey Ralph , Got a question for you. I have another post regarding information on transmission upgrades. Are you satisfied with the ATS equipment on your truck? I feel I should do an upgrade at my convenience rather than the other way around. What's your opinion please. Thanks

Old 03-11-2007, 06:12 AM
Ralph78
Professional

ORIGINAL: Bigriver

Hey Ralph , Got a question for you. I have another post regarding information on transmission upgrades. Are you satisfied with the ATS equipment on your truck? I feel I should do an upgrade at my convenience rather than the other way around. What's your opinion please. Thanks
I am very satisfied with my ATS Trans and Torque Converter, The only problem is they are VERY Pricey. But I really like the way my truck is equipped and intend to keep it for a very long time, so sprung for the ATS.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:40 PM
Charles Darwin
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Bigriver

...(The time of filling up is a drag though, $160.00 plus!)
At my European fuel prices I'm looking at near $305.00 for 50 gallons. A real pain in the wallet .
But thanks guys, I'll start with the vent modification and take it from there.

Quick Reply: Need an auxillary fuel tank