Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

trucks wont shift

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 09:19 PM
usafr
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trucks wont shift

So I get in my truck yesterday evening. Cranked up just fine. Went to take off and the truck is really sluggish. I figured that maybe it's just cold or something. Get to the end of the driveway, turn on to the road, and it's still being very sluggish. Get going down the road and realize that the transmission isn't shifting,, nor is the little position indicator light on the dash working ( P R N D). The transmission just stays in high gear and won't up/down shift. Reverse and park work, and if I manually put it into a lower gear it will go, but in D, it goes directly into high gear. This happened Saturday evening, Fri nite was the last time I had driven it and it ran just fine. I wasn't doing anything stupid withit either, just normal driving. Just to be safe I returned the truck back to stock, thinking maybe the programmer was causing the problem. Is it a sensor maybe? any ideas?

Old 02-25-2007, 10:34 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: trucks wont shift

check for codes and see if any relating to the trany show up. I hope your clutches havent frozen up from your box.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:54 PM
usafr
All Star

I checked, it didnt throw any codes.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:34 AM
AMERICANRAM

AND Ill bet you the cruise control dont work......I had the same problem...Just got my truckback yesterday from the dealer after almost 2 weeks they found out what I told them from the beginning,it was a bad PCM (powertrain control module)....If your OBD port is not giving you any codes try turning the key on and off 3 times (do not start the engine) the 3rd time leave the key on and look on the cluster where your milage is it should give you a code P700 (Trans Control system malfunction)
Hope this helps,you just got information that took me weeks to get.
Good luck
Mike

Old 02-27-2007, 12:46 PM
usafr
All Star
Default RE: truck wont shift update

They picked it up yesterday morning, but as of the end of the day, there was no answer. I have an all day appt. today, so I'll be checking on it around 4. After reading about the two other guys,, I have a bad feeling it's the PCM again [:@]. What is it with these things? I don't know if it's the Bully Dog thats doing it, but I dont think I'll be reinstalling it when I get my truck back. If they have to change the PCM again, I may go with the Smarty like Drew, or maybe even the Xillaraider box.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Drew
Professional

get the new TST box that you can adjust the rail pressure with. . .you wont look back

Old 02-27-2007, 09:14 PM
htgriffith
Veteran

I just called BullyDog and explained what happen. If you would do the same and see what they tell you. They told me that their was know why the "program" would drain my battery. (The dealer said the battery's were fine) He did say their was a bug in the 2.7 program and told me to go to the 2.8. Let me know what they say.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:10 PM
dave_thunderroad

well im sure glad i found this website.....its a small world after all.Last night i downloaded bully dog's 2.3.7 update to my power pup,This morning before i go to work i decide to reinstall it to my truck.After the download is done i started the truck and backed out of my driveway,And then just like you other guys my gear position display was not there and no my cruise didnt work,and it sure as hell wouldnt shift up or down.So now my dealer has it and im so thankful i found this info cause the S E S light didnt come on so i had no idea.But now I know,as for bully dog i called them and they said oh yea theres a big problem with the 2.3.7 program you might wanna watch it.....too late pal, i downloaded the new 2.3.8 version ,he assured me the problem was fixed so when i get my truck back whenever that may be ill see what happens......thanks guys i was really gettin worried til i found this forum

Old 02-27-2007, 10:32 PM
htgriffith
Veteran

Glad we could help. Ya Iam glade I found out also. The first thing I was going to do is to put it back in. I had problems before so this just added to the fire. Something was wroung or my baterry would not be going down and flashing a code. I had read some time back of this and he had to get a new PCM/ECM. Good luck..........

Old 02-27-2007, 11:43 PM
usafr
All Star

will the dealer fix the problem though??

Quick Reply: trucks wont shift