Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Transmission Fluid Change.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 01:27 AM
htgriffith
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Fluid Change.

Well it's about that time to do my first transmission and rear axle fluid change. I'm going to be putting Amsoil in them. Does anyone know a trick to get the fluid out of the torque converter. I have not looked but have read that there is no longer a drain plug on it. If this is true I hate not to be able to get the old ATF out. Short of pulling it off I need to find away to drain it. Maybe I could drill a hole and tap it for a plug.It just drive me crazy to change almost half the volume of fluid and not all of it. It's almost like changing half your engine oil and filter.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:30 AM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Transmission Fluid Change.

I dunno, but I'm doing the same job tomorrow night while adding my new trans cover and diff cover. Some guy told me that he could just keep pouring it in as it spills out and that that would eventually flush it, but you'd be wasting a lot of fluid that way. I don't know if he's right or wrong.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:39 AM
htgriffith
Veteran

I do not know about that. I do plan to blow threw the lines. I guess I would try it with a cheaper fluid. But not Amsoil. If you see a drain plug let me know.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:45 AM
Mayfair
Legend

OK, I'll let you know, but keep in mind that you have an 06 whereas I have a 98.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:58 AM
htgriffith
Veteran

I got a drill bit to, LOL. I would do it if I knew I would not "F" anything up.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:22 AM
Dallas192
Professional

I can tell you that theres no drain plug in the converter because of the clutch band, thats what I was told and I wouldnt attempt to drill the converter. as fgar as draining the conveter, I have no idea....99 ran ctd qcab 4x4.......Dallas

Old 03-23-2007, 10:39 AM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: htgriffith

Does anyone know a trick to get the fluid out of the torque converter. I have not looked but have read that there is no longer a drain plug on it. If this is true I hate not to be able to get the old ATF out. Short of pulling it off I need to find away to drain it. Maybe I could drill a hole and tap it for a plug.It just drive me crazy to change almost half the volume of fluid and not all of it. It's almost like changing half your engine oil and filter.
1 - The only way that you'll get everything out of the converter is A- pull the damn thing out, or B - do a flush, not just a drain and fill. You'll either need the big expensive machine or a TON of ATF to flush through yourself and by removing the line coming from the cooler and pouring new ATF in through the fill tube at the same time (sounds like fun, huh).

2 - DO NOT drill your TC and install a plug. One, you'll throw it out of balance and it'll vibrate itself apart and destory a few bearings along with it. Two, unless you are real familiar with the internal workings, you'll most likely drill into something you don't want to.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:07 PM
02cumminz

I'm changing my trans fluid this weekend too. I was planning on pulling the cooler line and pouring new in at the same rate. I can't see leaving all that dirting fluid in there either. Does anyone know which tranny cooler line right at the cooler is the return?

How about band adjustments? Some say dont touch them unless trans is slipping, some say adjust with fluid change. What are you guys going to do?

This is my first post and I want to say you guys have provided me with alot of good info!! Thanks!!

Old 03-23-2007, 05:24 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

You'll either need the big expensive machine or a TON of ATF to flush through yourself and by removing the line coming from the cooler and pouring new ATF in through the fill tube at the same time (sounds like fun, huh).
Since I don't have the machine, that's kind what we were planning on doing.

Define " a ton " of fluid

Old 03-23-2007, 09:03 PM
United1
Professional

Start it up cold, put your foot on the brake, put in drive for about 5-10 seconds. The return line from the cooler will be significantly lower in temperaturecompared to the trans supply.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Change.