Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Tow/Haul mode switching

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 09:32 PM
PRam
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tow/Haul mode switching

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

ORIGINAL: Barry KC

I have a '05 2500 series CTD with auto/OD. and 3:73 gears Even when pulling 12 to 14 K, I just leave the trans. in D. The one exception is if starting out in real hilly terrain. That engine has so much grunt, that it just does not seem to matter and I detect no strain on the trans.
Like I was saying.....the good thing about T/H mode is that it locks your TC in 3rd. This helps to lessen the heat buildup. It also holds 4th gear longer before downshifting......again, helps with the heat buildup.
That is the real reason i was asking was the heat buildup and the wear on the clutches in the tc during lockup.
just got back in town and the truck pulled it effortlessly like I new it would.
I would love to have known the tranny temp.I know the engine did not vary much, even having to pass some tard accelerating up a hill, on the right, because they didn't know how to get out of the left lane on the interstate[:@]
paul

Old 03-25-2007, 10:45 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: PRam
That is the real reason i was asking was the heat buildup and the wear on the clutches in the tc during lockup.
just got back in town and the truck pulled it effortlessly like I new it would.
I would love to have known the tranny temp.I know the engine did not vary much, even having to pass some tard accelerating up a hill, on the right, because they didn't know how to get out of the left lane on the interstate[:@]
paul
The only time you get wear on the clutches during lock-up is if they are slipping. For instance, on my Attitude I can monitor the slippage. It will de-fuel if it senses slippage.

The only times I notice slippage and back-down is if I have it turned up a bit and I hammer it from a stop, especially if the T/H is off. With the T/H engaged, the TC grabs much more noticeable and lock-up is a lot firmer.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:19 PM
Watermelon
Captain

Sounds like Dodge got the bugs worked out for you on the CTD?

Old 03-25-2007, 11:51 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: Watermelon

Sounds like Dodge got the bugs worked out for you on the CTD?
Oh yeah! She runs like a demon now. [sm=drooldude.gif]

Then again, the only thing that is still original on my truck is the body and the VIN. Everything else from intake to tailpipe and pretty much everything electrical has been replaced.

Now it's time to see what "I" can break.

Quick Reply: Tow/Haul mode switching