Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

P0148 engine died and fuel all over the engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 06:40 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0148 engine died and fuel all over the engine

Can you guess where my truck is right now? On a roll back heading to the dealer.The thing ran fine all day, then 2 miles from the house and coasting down a hill I get a CEL and when I reach the bottom and push the clutch in, it dies. I tried to crank it but it won't start. I checked codes and found P0148. Then I get out and notice fuel on the road below the truck. I opened the hood and there was fuel all over the driver side rear half of the engine. I couldn't find where it was coming from but I turned the key on and no more came out, so I assume it was high pressure fuel. If I remember the code is for rail pressure so that makes sense. My guess is the tech didn't do one of the injector lines properly when he replaced the injectors and it let go. Great luck huh?

Old 04-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: P0148 engine died and fuel all over the engine

hhmmm. . .fuel delivery error. . .yea, you had a high pressure line fail and the injector(s) didnt open and the ECM sensed this. if one of the nuts was loose you would have known real quick after leaving the dealership. . .my guess is one of the injector lines itself cracked.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:45 PM
jakebrake
Champion

They probably tried to reuse the jumper tubes

Old 04-29-2008, 10:24 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Drew, that's what I think too. Hopefully we'll find out tomorrow. The tech I want has two bays tied up already. I'm going there first thing in the morning and see the service manager (he and I are on a first name basis). gonna see if he'll bump me up in line. Dang it sucked watching my baby go up the roll back and get hauled away.

Jake, the truck that hauled me away was an International.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully its just a loose fuel line.....

P0148-HIGH PRESSURE COMMON RAIL (HPCR) CHECKSUM For a complete wiring diagram Refer to Section 8W. [ul][*]When Monitored: While the engine is running.[*]Set Condition: A deviation between the fuel pressure set point and the actual fuel pressure.[/ul] Possible Causes OTHERS DTC'S PRESENT-- FUEL LEAKS-- FUEL CONTROL ACTUATOR-- FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR--- CASCADE OVERFLOW VALVE--- CHECK VALVE DAMAGED OR BLOCKED--- FUEL RETURN LINES OBSTRUCTION, DAMAGE, OR DEBRIS--- LIFT PUMP FLOW--- AIR IN FUEL SYSTEM--- LEAKING FUEL INJECTORS OR HIGH PRESSURE CONNECTORS--- PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE--- HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP

Old 04-29-2008, 10:31 PM
jakebrake
Champion

well hopefully it was a IH 4300 or 4700, anything smaller and they put the vt365 (6.0l) under the hood.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:45 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

David,

Thanks. Since there was fuel all over the place I'm thinking it was an injector line let go. But I think the FCA might play a part here too. It has had an intermittent surge when coasting in cruise control for a while now.

Jake,

It was not a 6.0 and didn't even sound much like a 7.3 I was to distracted to notice which model truck it was. All I know is my truck took up the whole bed and hung over the back slightly, and set the roll back down on her springs some.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at a minimum a DT266. . .but I'd say that international was sporting a 466.

Nick, it does sounds as if your FCA was sticking a bit.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:55 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Well, it was number 4 injector line cracked right outside the sleeve that comes out of the nut at the head. The dealer was slammed today so they had not even looked at it at 4:00pm when I got there. I hung around and asked them to take a look at it so they could get parts ordered. The tech is gonna see if he can get the FCA for me too. Hopefully I'll be on the road tomorrow evening.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:27 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Update, back from the dealer with a new #4 HP fule line and a new FCA. She seems to be good to go now.

Quick Reply: P0148 engine died and fuel all over the engine