Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Recommendations for 46rh rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 05:07 PM
timberwolf400
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations for 46rh rebuild

After over 295000 miles of mostly heavy equipment trailer towing service the 46rh transmission in my 1993 Cummins diesel one ton 4x4 dually has bought the farm. I'd perfer to swap out the auto to the 5sp manual like in the one ton 4x4 dually I had before but its looking like I'm going to go ahead and rebuild the automatic. I'm looking for recommendations on the best rebuild kits out there. I've also read a bit about modifications to the stock unit like upgraded valve bodies, casing modifications to get more fluid flow to the OD, beefier torque converters with lower stall speeds. etc. What should I consider here since I'm looking to build a unit thats more heavy duty than the original? I understand the torque converter was a weak link in the diesel drive train. What gets me the most bang for my buck in upgrades? I'm seeing prices all over the board on kits and converters. You get what you pay for but some of the parts suppliers look like they are selling smoke. I've got a professional transmission rebuilder lined up to help me through the job. I've gone through manuals and autos before but they were from back in the day of C6s and 4 speed rock crushers with Hurst pistol grip shifters. Considering the complexity of units 40 years newer and with the effort to remove and reinstall this thing I don't want to screw something up and have to wrestle with it twice (or more). You guys know whats out there and worth paying for so educate me here. I appreciate it.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Go here. Check 'em out. They sell kits with all the parts you need, including upgrades. (Viper series). Also, I would verify what trans you have, with the diesel, you should have a 47, or 48RH

Old 07-02-2017, 08:49 AM
timberwolf400
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the link I'll check it out. You are correct on the trans model. I think I'm working with the 47rh. I've been putting off this rebuild for over a year. I did my homework back then but I need to go back and review the stuff I learned now that a little cash is here to do the build. The site you referred me to is one I haven't run across before.