Dodge Ram SRT-10 The best claim to fame. the world's fastest production pick up, the Dodge Ram SRT-10. With outstanding Viper inspired styling, power and handling, this sport pick up will blow the doors off anything that gets in it's way.

Why buy an SRT-10 over a diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Morse
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why buy an SRT-10 over a diesel?

Hello everyone.. I'm just curious, so I'll ask. Let me start by saying this is in no way a bashing thread. I enjoy most allperformance vehicles. I'm just wondering why a lot of the buyers of SRT-10's don't go for diesels? The two most common reasons I see are the lack of warranty on a modified diesel, and people are unaware of the performance (with economy) easily attained by todays diesels.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Nicky B
Captain
Default RE: Why buy an SRT-10 over a diesel?

ORIGINAL: Morse

Hello everyone.. I'm just curious, so I'll ask. Let me start by saying this is in no way a bashing thread. I enjoy most allperformance vehicles. I'm just wondering why a lot of the buyers of SRT-10's don't go for diesels? The two most common reasons I see are the lack of warranty on a modified diesel, and people are unaware of the performance (with economy) easily attained by todays diesels.
Well for a one 1. A SRT-10 QC with better rubber can run high 13's stock for a deisel QC to do that takes alittle work, a programmer may get you there but not without possible damaging your trans, and turbo. 2. A QC SRT-10 can be running high 12's with very few modd's a deisel QC would need an upgraded trans, turbo, and most likely ungraded fuel system. While a fast diesel is very cool its just easier to get a SRT-10 hitting 12's or 11's. The two things diesel's got over the SRT trucks is they get better mileage and the fastest of the two is the diesel where there are a few running low 10's and high 9's and these are not stripped out trucks. The fastest SRT-10 truck I think is running high 10's.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:41 PM
Morse

I do agree.. An SRT 10 is faster out of the box, not to mention it also looks better. I also think it would be cool to have a 12 second truck with a warranty. I may be wrong here, but the SRT-10 is priced quite a bit more than the normal diesel. For $3500, my 05 4x4 CC dually ran 13.0's at 103 mph and pulled very heavy trailers. That was at 8,040 pounds. With that setup, average mileage was around 17 to 18.My latest toy is an 06 2500 that weighs in at 6,130 pounds. I rana similarsetup that was on the dually for a while, and ranconsistant low 12's in the quarter (12.2-12.3) with mileage in the mid 20's. I've since gotten more radical with it. My goal is 10.99 on dieselbefore I spray it. My mileage has now dropped to 19 on the interstate. I'm wanting to meet my goal in the next couple weeks, so I can install my smaller injectors to get my mileage back.Next season, I'll throw the large ones back in..
I know very little about theSRT-10.What's the bestmileage expected? I raced a guy at Bradenton Motorsports Park that is a normal racer. He'sgreat at driving"traction limited" vehicles.He knocked off a 12.7with what he said was a completely stock truck. I was impressed. Then there was a guy there with a stock crew cab auto that was running mid 14's. He was pretty disappointed.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:20 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The SRT is more of a toy/play thing/hobby type limited edition truck. A diesel is more of a work truck.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Nicky B
Captain

I do agree.. An SRT 10 is faster out of the box, not to mention it also looks better. I also think it would be cool to have a 12 second truck with a warranty. I may be wrong here, but the SRT-10 is priced quite a bit more than the normal diesel. For $3500, my 05 4x4 CC dually ran 13.0's at 103 mph and pulled very heavy trailers. That was at 8,040 pounds. With that setup, average mileage was around 17 to 18.My latest toy is an 06 2500 that weighs in at 6,130 pounds. I rana similarsetup that was on the dually for a while, and ranconsistant low 12's in the quarter (12.2-12.3) with mileage in the mid 20's. I've since gotten more radical with it. My goal is 10.99 on dieselbefore I spray it. My mileage has now dropped to 19 on the interstate. I'm wanting to meet my goal in the next couple weeks, so I can install my smaller injectors to get my mileage back.Next season, I'll throw the large ones back in..
I know very little about theSRT-10.What's the bestmileage expected? I raced a guy at Bradenton Motorsports Park that is a normal racer. He'sgreat at driving"traction limited" vehicles.He knocked off a 12.7with what he said was a completely stock truck. I was impressed. Then there was a guy there with a stock crew cab auto that was running mid 14's. He was pretty disappointed.
I seriously doubt that you ran low 12's with only 3-4k in modd's. You would need atleast an upgraded turbo and if you still have the stock trans then let me tell you that its probably going to go any day now with that much power. And if you really want low 11's and to an occasional 10.9 10.8 be prepared to drop atleast 15k into your truck and maybe more you want the best of the best parts and labor work.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:37 AM
Midnight Runner
Champion

No way low 12's. [sm=forgetit.gif]

Old 11-02-2007, 04:00 PM
Morse

To start with, always do your research before you say no way.. It's best to ask questions and learn.

Here's what it takes to make an 04.5and up2wd standard cab run low 12's, and the pricesyou can expectpay for new or near new parts..
-Industrial Injection turbo (62-14) $950 plus shipping new on ebay
-DDP injector tips $400 (can be as much as twice this new)
-Bully Dog Crazy Larry programmer $300 on ebay
-TS Ramifier or MP8 $150 on ebay (takes care of boost fooling and can add pressure)
-Suncoast converter $1,150
-Transgo shift kit $100
-Walker straight through muffler and installation $140
Granted, these are prices that you have to look for, yet parts are readily available on forums and ebay. The turbos have went up drasticly the last couple years, yet used are plentiful.
My 06has a race weight of 6130 pounds, which is a lightweight in diesels. It's a standard cab short bed. I also shortened the frame 22' when it had 2,000 miles on it. I wanted a new diesel sport truck, so I had to make it myself..I do now have around $6,000 in my trans. I have went with many more parts such as dual injection pumps, compound turbos, head studs, larger injectors, injector bodies, intercooler, etc, inorder to get closer to my 10.99 goal on diesel only daily driver. The cummins needs no internal engine or head work to make those power levels. Studs are all that's needed. Last night, Idrove itto Bradenton Motorsports Park and ran 11.61at 120.5on 20' radials. Not drag radials.Someone mentioned $15,000 invested..It can easily soak up that kind of money and much more quickly when you want to go sub 12's. Also, heavier trucks and 4x4's have to do more extensive mods to start with to get in the lower 12's and faster. Does a diesel have to be or look likea work truck? No.. Can a 2wd standard cab diesel run low 12's for less than $3500 and achieve better than stockfuel mileage? Yes.. Just for the record,I speak ofDodge diesels.. Thechevy with it's duramax dieselcan achieve high 12's in the quarter with a shift kit, torque converter, and a program. They startspitting rodswhen the power gets in the 600's at the wheels. The stock cumminshas started coming apart in the 1100 to 1200 rwhp range..

Old 11-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Morse

I just want to remind everyone that this isn't any type of bashing thread. This is meant for people with similar interests to learn. Going quick in a new truck is a lot of fun, no matter what it's powered by. Everyone has pride in their vehicles, yet try to keep an open mind. People were skeptical aboutrunning low 12's for less than
$3500. Are prices much higher for performance parts for the SRT 10?

Old 11-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Nicky B
Captain

Well with a deisel in a short bed regular cab form then 12's with $3500 is very viable but I was thinking QC. Cause about 7 out of 10 deisel trucks are QC's. For a fast deisel owner on this site go to the diesel part and look up triton he has invested alot of dough into his mega cab is pushing over 700HP and run's mid 12's with 37" tires . And there is nothing better then seeing a 7000pound QC 4X4 blowing black smoke down the 1320!

Old 11-06-2007, 01:41 AM
Midnight Runner
Champion

I just want to remind everyone that this isn't any type of bashing thread. This is meant for people with similar interests to learn. Going quick in a new truck is a lot of fun, no matter what it's powered by. Everyone has pride in their vehicles, yet try to keep an open mind. People were skeptical aboutrunning low 12's for less than
$3500. Are prices much higher for performance parts for the SRT 10?
If you did all that for $3,500, you did a dam good job. And i would have to say yes,
prices are higher. Like real good headers will run you $1,500, and i think that 94rt10ohio
paid more then that for his. They are some bad A$$ headers.

Quick Reply: Why buy an SRT-10 over a diesel?