Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

van will not shut off

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 12:31 PM
arty
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default van will not shut off

i have a 2001 conversion van with a remote starter/. the other morningi used the remote starter to turn it on but it did not work ... so i used my key. when i went to shut it off by taking the the key out the van kept running. i had to pull the feul pump fuse and disconnect my batteryto shut it off.i had the installer of the remote come down and he took out the remote starter, he says it is a faulty ignition switch has anyone heard of that before.i have heard of a bad switch not being able to turn on a car but never to not be able to turn it off ? any thoughts? thanks

Old 07-02-2007, 12:39 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default RE: van will not shut off

Is the problem corrected with the remote starter removed?

Old 07-02-2007, 12:45 PM
arty
Amateur

the remote starter guy came and removed the remote starter the problem still excists the van will not shut off when you turn off the key and remove the key

Old 07-02-2007, 01:57 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Like you, I'm inclined to think the problem is NOT with the ignition switch. I would first make sure that your ASD relay is operating correctly and does not have it's contacts frozen in the on position. If this relay is not shutting down engine items like the PCM, ignition, fuel pump, etc. stay powered up but not accessory items like the radio, heater blower, etc.

The remote starter might have sensed that the ignition was already live, so it did not attempt to start the vehicle. The timing of the two problems are to coincidental to not be connected.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:01 PM
arty
Amateur

thanks for your input asd relay? what does those initials stand for? thanks arty

Old 07-02-2007, 03:21 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Auto Shut Down
Basically whenthis relay kicks out, it kills power to the injectors, PCM, fuel pump, and the ignition in general. So if it doesn't kick out, those systems stay powered and the engine keeps running, regardless of the ignition switch position.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:17 PM
autoguru77

Not a big fan of remote start/aftermarket alarms! Ive seen more problems corrected by removing that crap. You've probably got an issue with the ASD like alloro said, but I would bet it was caused by the installation of the remote start. i would swap the asd relay with another relay in the panel (preferrably same part #)such as the cooling fan and see if the fan stays on and your van shuts off! Good luck!

Old 07-02-2007, 04:54 PM
arty
Amateur

i tested my asd reley and it checked out fine i am thinking it has to be my ignition switch

Old 07-02-2007, 06:46 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

How could it check out fine? I mean how did you test it?
If the ignition switch was shorted on,the relay would stay on all the time anyway.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:30 PM
arty
Amateur

i checked the relay according to my repair manual with a ohm meter it checked out good.

Quick Reply: van will not shut off