Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

83 Ram 250 (vibration)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 05:46 PM
JlazyH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 Ram 250 (vibration)

I have an 83250 van. About 10,000 miles on a rebuilt 318 and trans. Here is my problem (question) I'm getting a pretty good motor vibration. It does it threw all gears as well as in park. From 0 to 40 mph it is fine and over 40 starts the vibration. It stops again at about 53mph and starts again over that. I can rev it in netural or park and it will vibrate then too. All the normal things have been ruled out. U joints rear axcels and the whole drive line. I did notice today that the old vibration damper (harmonic balance) was re used. Does it sound like I need to put a new on on or is there something else I should be looking for?
I hope I have given enough 411 on what and when it does it. Any help would be great.
Thanks, Jess
http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r...urrent=800.jpg

Old 04-09-2008, 09:28 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default RE: 83 Ram 250 (vibration)

The vibration dampener is a thought, but since the vibration stops at times, this could tend to rule it out although not 100%.

You didn't say if it was an automatic or not, but if it is and the torque converter was reused, it could have some broken blades it it. Due to the changing pressure within the TC, the vibration can come and go at different times.

Considering the vibration is present in park and neutral; yes, you can rule out everything coming out of the tranny.

Oh and one more thing, an intermittent skip can appear to be vibration. So you might want to try and rule that out as a possibility.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:04 AM
JlazyH

Didn't even think about the torque converter. Thanks Alloro for the heads up. It is an automatic and I do think the old TC was put back in. I have checked and or changed the dist. cap and rotor, plugs and wires. I am pretty sure is isn't an electrical issue.
I guess I'll just baby it for a few more weeks untill I can pull it and check it out. We are getting slammed with snow here again (Colorado) and I am not up to working in a cold garage to do the deed.
Again thanks for the heads up.
Jess

Old 04-10-2008, 11:32 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

You should definitely check the front vibration dampener for wobblefirst...much...much easier.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:45 PM
JlazyH

Well ? Nice shinney new vibration damper installed this morning ! Bad call (my bad) the SOB still vibrates. Crap. Looks like the only thing left to check out now is thetorque converter. Right ? This one is out of my back yard knowledge for sure. Is there any easy way to inspect the TC while it's in the van or does it have to come out ? I guess it's possable that the bolts could be loose? Anyone have any advice on how to check it? Right now I'm lost.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:21 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Is there any easy way to inspect the TC while it's in the van or does it have to come out?
You can remove the flywheel inspection cover and slowly rotate the engine while looking for missing bolts or other damage. But if that doesn't produce any results, you're left with just replacing it. You might want to pick one up at a boneyard and have it on hand when you pull the tranny. There really isno way for us commoners to test a TC in the backyard.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:23 PM
JlazyH

Up date on the vibration. Still there damnit. The TC and fly wheel look great. While watching it from underneath there is 0 wooble or anything that looks out of sorts. If I was able to find a strong enough magnet and place it in different locations on the flywheel and then again on the front pulley would that confirm which was the problem? Or what other possable problem could be causing this vibration? I'm real close to buying a Ford. LOL

Old 04-17-2008, 03:17 PM
JlazyH

Vibration problem solved. It was the FAN CLUTCH.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:24 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Odd, bad fan clutches as a rule only cause vibration below 35 mph because over that speed they're disengaged. Well anyways, glad to hear it's fixed and that it wasn't the TC.

Quick Reply: 83 Ram 250 (vibration)