Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Brand new to me 1995 with a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 02:32 PM
cardiacpaul
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new to me 1995 with a problem?

I'm the proud owner of a 1995 B1500 American Conversions B1500 van, 318 ~ 4speed OD tranny.
Heres my problem.
When I put it into gear, it stalls. Idles fine, have done the IAC thing, working on resetting the PCM now, but also changed the tranny oil & filter 3000 miles ago. It was pink with just a few metal filings (very fine) in the pan.

Just did it again, and man, oh man, the oil is black, and the magnet was FULL of very fine "metal dust" .
the only solenoid other than the OD solenoid is internal, 3 wire, dual "pole" (2 coils) and its called a "kickdown" solenoid. It shifts up thru all 4 when stopped at a light, although it seems reluctant to "let go" when I'm slowing down to get to the light, sometimes the engine dies.
I've checked attenuation on the solenoid, looks fine. i've "heard" about unplugging it to see if problem goes away, but I don't really want to drop the pan again... Do I have to? or what are y'all recommendations here?

thanks piles
Paul

Old 05-17-2008, 03:06 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default RE: Brand new to me 1995 with a problem?

Sounds like the lock-up converter is stuck.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:43 PM
cardiacpaul

and I should do what about that?

Old 05-17-2008, 08:18 PM
cardiacpaul

i mean, there is no electronic solenoid for that on mine, the only one I have is a 3 wire with 2 'throws", all of the parts catalogs call that one kickdown" solenoid. if i unhook that, at the solenoid, wht problems will i cause?
Do I need a new TC, or, more likely, yank they tranny and do a rebuild of the packs?

Old 05-17-2008, 09:04 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

95 4sp OD models had a lockup torque converter. Is there any chance that your tranny was changed and the circuit was cut out, hence the trouble code?

Before you go through the trouble of doing any type of rebuild or repair on the tranny, I would take it to a tranny shop and get their opinion on it, or at least stop and talk to them. If it turns out to be a TC lockup problem, you will need a new TC in addition to any tranny repairs.

That 3-wire connector...normally one wire is common, the 2nd wire activates the OD/kickdown solenoid, the 3rd wire activates the TC lockup. All of the 1-3 gear shifts are hydraulically controlled within the tranny

Old 05-17-2008, 09:21 PM
cardiacpaul

highly doubtful it was changed. the "grime" on the BH to engine looks pretty normal, doesn't look like it was ever broke apart.
I'll take it to the trans shop first thing monday AM. In the mean time, I'll drop the pan, unhook the solenoid and report (its dark 30 here now)

Old 05-17-2008, 09:29 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

No need to drop the pan, just unplug it from the outside of the tranny case.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:12 AM
cardiacpaul

update:

TC locked up, Dropped fluid all over spun pump. TC, bands, clutches, pump, OD unit shot.
Total rebuild needed. New bearings, bushings, pump, upgraded clutch packs, bands, solenoid, TC, and OD unit bearings, gears, seals, New HD cooler, yada, yada, yada.

total cost with tx, title and preparation H charges, 1674.00

All is right with the world.

Quick Reply: Brand new to me 1995 with a problem?