Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

97 B2500 has spark and fuel but no start.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:57 PM
SWM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 97 B2500 has spark and fuel but no start.

Whats up?
I need help finding out what is going on with this stupid thing.
About 4 months ago the engine started to shut down from time to time.
Some times I could crank it back up no problem and no more stall for the rest of the day.
Some times I would have to tap on the ECM and it would start back up no prob.
It started getting worse after a while and when it would not restart it would smell as if it was flooded.
I pulled the ECM and cleaned all all the pins and plugs and it ran fine for about a week.
Then all of the sudden it would start shutting down again.
I have replaced most of the sensors and had a tune up about a month ago.
This did not help much.It started the same thing and I would have to get out of
the van and smack the ECM to get it to start again.
Finally about 3 days ago it did it again and now I can not get it to start.
I am getting the correct voltaged to everything but it will
not start and smells like it is flooding when I try to start it.Thinking it could be the ECM I picked up a rebuilt one a parts house and tried that....still nothing.
It acts like it is trying to start but it is dumping to much fuel in the engine.
Fuel pump works great "50psi" andIt is getting what appears to be good spark
Pulled several plugs to check and they have a nice Bright blue or white spark.
It just seems to be getting to much fuel for some reason.
I unplugged the fuel relay and tried to start it and it actualy started for about 3 second.
Has anyone ever heard of this? Are there any normal spots to look for bad wire or splices on this model?
The Van is a 1997 B2500 swb cargo van. 3.9 v6 auto 167xxx miles on it.
Good battery and replaced alternator about a month ago.
I can not figure this out and need this vehicle to work. Has a new cat also.
Please help!!!

Last edited by SWM; 02-16-2010 at 11:01 PM. Reason: correction
Old 02-17-2010, 12:18 AM
tripingeorge

might have a leaky injecter. before u start it hold down the gas pedal. this is supposed to stop it from pumping fuel into the engine. it will clear out the excess gas. let it turn for a few seconds like this. now try starting it normally

Old 02-17-2010, 12:22 AM
tripingeorge

or maybe your timing is off. when was the last time u had your timing chain changed?

Old 02-17-2010, 07:54 AM
ez1913
Professional

I'm thinking it sounds like a bad sensor.
The O2 sensor has alot to do with fuel mixture.
Also, the camshaft sensor supplies cylinder ID to the PCM to sync to ignition and fuel system.
If the cam sensor is going bad, it may be giving bad signal to the PCM and mixing up cylinder #.

Have you scanned it for trouble codes with the key dance or scanner?
Check engine light on, or been on and went out?

Most good auto part stores will scan your rig for free.
If you cant get it to start, the key dance (ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON) should get the check engine light to flash any stored codes.

Your problem could also be the TPS, crankshaft sensor, MAP, EGR, AIC, fuel pressure reulator, or as stated above a bad injector(s).

Tapping the PCM may just be coisidental.
As a failing sensor "cools down", it sometimes will work again for a while.
I had a crank sensor behave this way, pulled my hair till it finally registered a trouble code.

EZ1

Old 02-17-2010, 09:24 AM
SWM

Thanks guys. The chain and gears were changed about 10k miles ago. When the computer first started acting up I could wiggle the computer plugs and it would smooth out or just flood out and dye. I could not find a computer localy at the time so I used 3 large duct straps to keep the plugs seeted firmly in the puter. Worked Great! My cat wasclogged up so I got a new one installed and it passed emission test and got pretty good milage.this lasted about 2-3 monthes. Then all of the sudden Monday it started the same thing and I almost did not make it home and it would not restart. "even with the pedal all the way down." checked the computer for codes and it basicaly said eveything was out!...lol.....thought that was strange so I borrowed a scanner from a friend and it showed comp. bad.
Anyway, I got a new computer tuesday on a hot shot delivery from Floriday and tried it. No luck. It tries to start if you hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor but it doesn't quite make it. It sounds funny when it tried to crank though. Kind of like the cat is stopped up again?.....Could it have stopped up that fast driving it homw almost 25 miles? It did slowly loose power when I was driving it home Monday. Maybe I could cut the cat loose and see if it starts?
Oh,...by the way. the only codes I get now are 12 and 55. New ECM
If you don't feel like typing a response feel free to give me a call.
eight three two eight nine four zero four four three. I have unlimited minutes and no long distance so I you want to send me a text and I can call you back.
Thanks Shawn.

Last edited by SWM; 02-17-2010 at 09:34 AM. Reason: forgot
Old 02-17-2010, 12:19 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by SWM
When the computer first started acting up I could wiggle the computer plugs and it would smooth out or just flood out and dye.

Maybe I could cut the cat loose and see if it starts?
To me it sounds like you have major issues with the connectors going to the PCM. Get a can of electrical switch cleaner and spray them liberally. Let them dry good then reconnect them and see if there is any improvement.

Instead of disconnecting the cat you can instead remove the O2 sensor. This will provide enough of an escape port for the exhaust to let you know if it makes a difference.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:51 PM
SWM

Thanks I will try that now..

Old 02-17-2010, 03:06 PM
SWM

It worked!!! Runs kinda rich though without the O2 sensor in but it does run.
Now, How do I get that cat cleaned out without removing it from the Van?
I have plenty of R410a and R11 , I know it will disolve the crap but with it mess up the cat any worse than it already is? Maybe I can unhook the donut gastets at the exhast manifold and blow it out with Nitrogen? Does any one think that would hurt anything?
I use it all the time on the job to blow out refrigerant lines that have been stopped up by sludge from a comp. burnout.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:39 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by SWM
I know it will dissolve the crap but with it mess up the cat any worse than it already is?
Since it is not letting the engine run, do you really think it's possible to make the cat any worse?

You just might have to replace it.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:01 PM
SWM

I dunno? I had an experience like this with a Chevy cheyenne and Was able to clean out the cat and it passed emmisions test the following year. I did have to cgange the o2 sensor on it though. We used that truck for 17 years and never had any major problems with it. I still have it, but the trans went out!....lol.....not unusual for over 500k miles. We have had many ford econolines and while they were great to work out of the millage sucked even on the 300 inline 6. Plus after about 250k they did not seem to have very much power.
I always wanted to try a dodge with that little 3.9 v6 after driving my friends. It has way, way more power off the line and on the highway compared to the 6 cylender Fords.
I can not compare it to the Chevy vans though because we have never used them.
Have to many friends that have had trans problems with them.I know that many people say that this is one of Dodges weaknesses but I have never had a major problem with them and I owned a 97 swb fleetside, magnum v8 3 chamber flow master cat deletion underdrive pullys K&N cold air , custom burned from magnum performance.
It was a sweet mopar for a daily driver.I did exp. the manifold gasket leak though....lol
That was weird! I got the oil change one day in Livingston Texas and drove about 45 miles back to my home in NewCaney Tx. and the oil light came on as soon as I pulled in my driveway. Freaked me out....lol I was on the phone in less than a minute chewing out the folks at the oil change place.....lol.........After I found out what was happening I called and said "Please Forgive me?"
They were reluctant but they went ahead and accepted and even changed my oil again the next time I was in town!
Great people.
Thanks Guys
and especially Allor!
If you guys ever have any HVAC"refrigeration-Boilers-Chillers-ect" questions let me know and I will try and help ya' out.

Quick Reply: 97 B2500 has spark and fuel but no start.