Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2003 Dodge ram van 2500 no spark.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 11:09 PM
RobertP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Dodge ram van 2500 no spark.

van dies on the highway with no real warning last week. sputtered twice then shut off.

what i have done and checked. i have 12 volts to the coil. the ASD relay clicks and i swapped it out with the a/c relay anyway. i have 5 V at the coil wire drk green and orange coming from the PCM have that same 5v at the crank sensor. i have replaced the coil. twice now. the crank sensor, the pickup in the distributor. and the pcm was replaced 9 months ago for a no bus signal. as for the grey wire at the coil it also has the same 12v when the coil is plugged in and the key is turned. without the coil plugged in it stays ground. both do have power while cranking also. i know that the grn/org wire also runs to the injectors and in a way to both o2 sensors. all the wires seem fine.
i have run out of things to check so any help would be appreciated.

3 codes pulled from the computer were random misfire, cyl 3 misfire. and po420 catalyst too low. it needs a cat i know.

thanks
Robert

Old 07-05-2010, 11:51 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

All these things you've done are great if you have no spark. But you didn't say if you actually did check for spark or are you assuming there isn't any?

When checking for spark, check at one (or more) of the spark plugs, but also pull the center wire from the distributor and check for spark on that one.

If you do have spark, see if spraying carb cleaner or starting fluid into the throttle body fires the engine at all.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:30 AM
RobertP

yes i checked the spark at the coil directly. not at the plugs. i have no spark at the coil itself. i cecked this with both a screw driver grouned to the block and i ran a new coil wire from it to a spare spark plug. no spark at all.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:10 AM
RobertP

I'm still at a stand still with this thing. I have found that the coil isn't getting the ground signal, while cranking both the grn org wire and the grey wire on the coil are reading 12 volts. I have checked all of my grounds. All seem to be good and tight. I have scuffed them to make sure I'm getting good grounds from them. I called the dealer they are going to warranty my ecm that I bought in december. I should have that in the morning. If anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear them. At this point I would even appreciate if I over looked something.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:04 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

I would just be patient until you install the replacement PCM and see if that solves the problem. If the PCM is no good, nothing else you're doing is going to make any difference.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:22 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it does turn out it is the ECM/Pcm, you need to find out why they are failing. It is said it is extremely rare for them to fail on their own, but something causes them to fail, like a shorted solenoid or a sensor whose resistance is far out of whack, or any of the wiring leading to either.

At the rick of alloro making fun of me and my wire. I did find my ecm had failed because a wire leading to my transmission had chafed and then grounded out on the bell housing. It had obviously been doing it for a while before the EcM failed. I

Old 07-13-2010, 06:57 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by landyacht318
At the risk of alloro making fun of me and my wire.
Wire?What wire?

Old 07-20-2010, 02:29 PM
RobertP

installed the new computer and van runs fine again. checked the wires around the trans for any damage none found.

Quick Reply: 2003 Dodge ram van 2500 no spark.