Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

318 won't idle and rough on throttle after intake gasket replace

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 07:27 AM
wilbo
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 318 won't idle and rough on throttle after intake gasket replace

I replaced the manifold and plenum gaskets on my 93 318 and put everything back together. Van starts but won't idle, it's rough on the throttle but I can keep it running with foot down. As soon as I take foot off gas it stalls.

Seems to be mis-firing a bit. I had a problem putting the fuel lines back on in that they didn't 'click' properly when I pushed the connectors on. A fuel blockage/poor pull could cause the problems I'm seeing?

I'm pretty confident that the plenum gasket is on nicely and the intake manifold looked good and tight. I double checked all torque on the bolts after an overnight settle.

Any suggestions to get me going would be appreciated

thanks

Wilbo

Old 07-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming the engine was idling OK before you started -- trouble now has to be one of two things. Either you missed connecting something on reassembly or you have a vacuum leak at the new intake gasket.

Check the firing order before you get too involved taking things apart again; it could be that simple.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:58 PM
wilbo
Rookie

problem just got worse

I unplugged all the connections that I'd taken off to do the job, sprayed with electrical contact cleaner and put back. To dist cap off and cleaned contacts.
Now no spark! I pulled a plug and stuck on end of dist cable and no spark. What power should I see going into coil on the LT wires?

I didn't previously removed any plugs from the dist cap so I'm happy the firing order is ok. I think vacuum leak could be the culpret but now I'm trying to get it to start! Wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't taking it on holiday on Sunday

Old 07-21-2010, 03:28 PM
wilbo
Rookie

So the other thing that happened between it working (badly) and not starting at all was a massive downpour... It's possible something got soaked under the hood I guess. The ignition relay etc??

Oh and I'm getting no codes btw

Last edited by wilbo; 07-21-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:13 PM
wilbo
Rookie

ok, it's good to retrace your steps

I remembered that I'd sprayed the two relays (ASD and ?) next to the booster in case there was a dodgy connection... I just pulled these to off the firewall to check and I thought 'that's weird, I though relays had 5 pins, one of these only has 4' lol

[edit - cos I tested the relay]
Got my torch (it's getting dark) and look inside the plug, guess what - the relay pin had snapped off and was stuck in the connector block! It's pin 87a which I thought would be the 'rest' pin? Is this that significant?? Not having 87a connected. If it was any of the other pins I'd be thinking bingo! but the NC pin. Anyone know? The relays operate as expected when coil energised/not energised.

OK, so now I think I know what the problem is - question:

I'm in the UK, I ain't gunna get a new ASD relay before the weekend (a Dodge replacement one) so can I use a stock relay in the mean time? What amps rating is it ? (20A?)

thanks

Last edited by wilbo; 07-21-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:45 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker

I dont know how many Americans might be confused by "torch"
But in americanspeak it translates to flashlight, He is not under his hood(bonnet) with a stick and a gas soaked rag in case you were imagining something out of Monty python.

I dont know what to tell you about the relay. I think my '89 as different style relays than yours, and I think tab 87a is sheared off flush with the relay with no corresponding receptacle in the connector. I'll go pull it out and check.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:02 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Petrol is gas, windscreen=windshield, rubber=eraser, ***=cigarette.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:20 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by wilbo
What amps rating is it ? (20A?)
I'm 99% sure it's rated for 30 amps.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

If you can find a 30 amp relay as Alloro suggested that should work, be sure to check that the pin number locations match between the two relays.

If in the UK the hood is called the Bonnet what is the internal engine cover called?

Old 07-22-2010, 01:55 AM
wilbo
Rookie

Originally Posted by landyacht318
I dont know how many Americans might be confused by "torch"
But in americanspeak it translates to flashlight, He is not under his hood(bonnet) with a stick and a gas soaked rag in case you were imagining something out of Monty python.
It had crossed my mind yesterday to do this but then I calmed down

I dont know what to tell you about the relay. I think my '89 as different style relays than yours, and I think tab 87a is sheared off flush with the relay with no corresponding receptacle in the connector. I'll go pull it out and check.
I think you might be right, haven't checked yet but it's certainly a flush cut. I'm sure I saw the corresponsing tab stuck in the connector that's all. But after I thought about it my excitement of finding the problem died away. I'll check again today.

So if the ASD is working ok, I should see 12V at the input to the coil, right? I'll check that the juice is getting that far.

thanks

Quick Reply: 318 won't idle and rough on throttle after intake gasket replace