Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2003 Ram Van 1500 with 220K miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 11:03 PM
dodgevanvan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Ram Van 1500 with 220K miles

Would that scare you? Assuming it runs and drives good, and can pass a mechanical inspection, would the high mileage alone be enough to skip. This is with the 5.2L motor in a conversion van. The asking price is about 3K and the van is in good shape otherwise.

For the same money, I'm looking more at 96-98's with 105-150K miles. Are these my better bets?

I would appreciate any insight or specific things I can look for/ask when I go to look at the '03 tomorrow.

Thanks for the time.

Josh

Old 07-30-2010, 11:26 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgevanvan
Would that scare you?
It depends on if it's mostly highway or mostly city miles. Highway miles would bother me a whole lot less.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:51 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dodgevanvan
Assuming it runs and drives good, and can pass a mechanical inspection, would the high mileage alone be enough to skip.
No it would not scare me away. I would want to know the history of the vehicle including maintenance that was done. Would not hurt to get a Car-Fax on it as well. Now don't expect it to be problem free, it may need some nickel and dime stuff for a short time before becoming a dependable vehicle.

Mine has 352K miles. I have replaced many things since buying it 2 years ago and I am not afraid to take it on road trips.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:05 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

dodgevanvan
Welcome to DF
There is a lot of information here. enjoy your new home and don't these guys pull your leg. If they really like you,they may even ask you to join the fan club.Enjoy Leonard

Old 07-31-2010, 12:29 AM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would want to see documentation of when the transmission was rebuilt, and if has not been, It is not likely to go much longer. I think the 'average' tranny life in these vans, even when maintained is about 130 k miles.

Raised roof, mountain driving, and towing play a bigger factor in these van's trannies than other trucks, but a 2003 came with an additional tranny cooler which can make all the difference.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:17 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My only concerns would be the tranny if the engine purrs and the throttle is responsive.

The 5.2L engine is a long lasting one. And knowing it's the Magnum era makes it even better. Did you check the fluids for color, order and finger feel of viscosity? Did you check the tires for irregular wear?

Have you tried the key on/off trick to see if any codes show up?

Can you offer $2,800 for the van?

As for the other vans, 1998 or newer would be my picks since many of the upgrades to the Ram Vans came in with that body and optional stuff becoming standard. The tow rating on the 1998-2003 era is greater as well.

Quick Reply: 2003 Ram Van 1500 with 220K miles