Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

'99 Ram Van Dome Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010 | 12:44 AM
floridacruiser
|
Rookie
Question '99 Ram Van Dome Lights

Have a '99 Ram Van and the dome lights quit working. Pulled all the fuses at end of dash on drivers side and all are OK. The gauge lights work fine (dim & bright) but you can't turn the dome lights on with the light switch. They also do not work when you open the doors.

The light switch is not turned to the off position for the dome lights (that possibility is ruled out)........Any suggestions where to start looking?

Thank you~~~~~Ron

Old 09-08-2010 | 01:11 AM
landyacht318
Record Breaker

Sometimes they get their ground from the body, instead of being fed a second wire.
Is it a conversion Van?

Have you checked for 12 volts at the light bulb socket?

Is the headlight switch turned past the detent clockwise?

I am not familiar with a '99.

Old 09-08-2010 | 01:31 AM
floridacruiser
|
Rookie

Originally Posted by landyacht318
Sometimes they get their ground from the body, instead of being fed a second wire.
Is it a conversion Van?

Have you checked for 12 volts at the light bulb socket?

Is the headlight switch turned past the detent clockwise?

I am not familiar with a '99.
Yes.....It is a conversion van. What should I be looking for on this conversion van? No the light switch is not turned past the detent clockwise. Thank you~~~~~Ron

Old 09-08-2010 | 02:11 AM
landyacht318
Record Breaker

Conversion Van companies have different methods of running their wires. I think you are going to have to pull down the wires on the switch, test for 12 volts and ground, and follow them back.

My conversion Van had another fuse block on the firewall by the parking brake, but the Dome lights were not routed through that. Mine did and does have a wire run for the light to the back doors..
Does yours?
Does it work?

Any chance the bulbs are no good?

Just for grins, run another wire from the battery negative to the firewall, or better yet, through the firewall and to the steering column support. It cannot hurt and does not need to be removed if it does not work.

Old 09-08-2010 | 11:09 PM
stev
Record Breaker

All it takes is just one of the door pin head switches to foul or mess up and the dome lights will not work. Check those contacts or if the wire to them isn't grounded. Do not use WD-40 on them It will leave a coating on the contacts and will just add to the problem of no lights.

Old 09-09-2010 | 08:23 PM
floridacruiser
|
Rookie
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by stev
All it takes is just one of the door pin head switches to foul or mess up and the dome lights will not work. Check those contacts or if the wire to them isn't grounded. Do not use WD-40 on them It will leave a coating on the contacts and will just add to the problem of no lights.
Checked contacts (pushed in and out)........nothing. Sat in the drivers seat and turned the headlight switch all the way clockwise and counterclockwise (many times) which I have done many times before......and BAMM........they started working.

Corrosion in the headlight switch I guess. Thanks to all for suggestions~~~~Ron

Old 09-24-2010 | 06:20 AM
floridacruiser
|
Rookie
Smile

Originally Posted by floridacruiser
Checked contacts (pushed in and out)........nothing. Sat in the drivers seat and turned the headlight switch all the way clockwise and counterclockwise (many times) which I have done many times before......and BAMM........they started working.

Corrosion in the headlight switch I guess. Thanks to all for suggestions~~~~Ron
Replaced headlight switch.........Works perfectly!!!! Thanks for all suggestions~~~~Ron

Old 10-10-2010 | 01:18 PM
KS96
Default Re

Originally Posted by floridacruiser
Replaced headlight switch.........Works perfectly!!!! Thanks for all suggestions~~~~Ron
I am a newbie here. Just joined this morning because I have the same problem and was looking for answers. My interior lights and dash lights stopped working and I figured it was the light switch. I didn't check the radio but I will in a minute. That will lead to a search for the fuses I suppose.

I finally figured out how to pull the shaft out to get the switch out.

Now, I am wondering, where do I buy a new switch?

Last edited by KS96; 10-10-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-10-2010 | 11:22 PM
Family Van

Welcome to the forum KS96

you didn,t list what year of your vehicle, but you can find the headlight switch at RockAuto.com. Click the catalog Start button and find the vehicle your searching for. Then there is a small search bar that you can type in Headlight Switch and Bang you get 3 for the 99.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: '99 Ram Van Dome Lights