Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2000 ram 2500 Van hesitating and backfiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 12:18 AM
j**71
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 ram 2500 Van hesitating and backfiring

Hey guys, just joined the forum. I have a 2000 ram 2500 van with a 5.2 ltr. I can't get the o2 sensor codes to stay cleared. I believe it is a p0132 code. The code is saying to high voltage and heaters not coming on, on both bank1 and 2. Changed the sensors twice and reset codes and they come back within 4 days. I been told the pcm is the problem and been told catalytic converter is problem. Does any one have any suggestions. When the light comes back on the van hesitates, losses power and backfires for 30 to 40 seconds intermittenly. I appears to be worse after idling at traffic light or atm. The longer the idle the more it backfires. Is this related to o2 sensor problem or something different.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:26 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is not much to go on for this P code.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0132

P0132 indicates that the signal wire is shorted to voltage. Unplug the sensor and using a voltmeter check voltage on the signal wire harness side. If the voltage is present with the sensor unplugged and key on engine off, then the wire is shorted to voltage somewhere. If it leaves when unplugging the connector, then the sensor is at fault or the installation.

Did you use generic cut and splice replacement 02's?

Old 09-21-2010, 08:37 AM
j**71

I didn't use generic o2's. They were bosch direct placements. Replaced them twice. I have a strange situation. It is a 2003 motor with 03 sensors. I believe they changed the wiring harness out when they changed the motor. I believe the computer is a 2000 though. It did work for a while like that. Does that matter. I am assumung the wires leave the sensor and go right up to one of the computer plugs, so I should be able to trace for shorts or frays, right? It comes up with another code, cant remember what it is. I think p0172, but don't remember. Any way it the same thing for the rear o2. However that one only happens once in a while. Is this my intermiten loss of power problem. I had read that it can affect it as the computer changes the fuel to the motor and tries to relearn

Old 09-21-2010, 09:35 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by j**71
and heaters not coming on, on both bank1 and 2.
Did you test for the loss of power to the heaters and repair accordingly?

Old 09-21-2010, 09:26 PM
j**71

No I didn't test for heaters. My mechanic did replace the relay that controlled the heaters. How do you test the heater circuit? Which wire is it. I turn the ignition on and checked for voltage without motor running. It had 3 volts. Followed wire all the way to the 2nd computer in the engine compartment. Found it on the 1st connector on left. Didn't find anything wrong with wire. I unplugged theconnector and plugged it back on and the engine light went out. Drove it for about 2 miles and it stayed out. Maybe it is fixed. Time will tell. If not, does that mean the computer it plugs into is bad?

Old 09-21-2010, 09:34 PM
j**71

By the way I forgot to mention that when they swapped the motor, they changed the transmission and catalytic converter. It has 2003 sensors in it. Does that make a difference? Should I try to wire 2000 sensors back in it? Everything i have read said 09 to 2003 pretty much works the same.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:35 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by j**71
Should I try to wire 2000 sensors back in it?
How long ago did the swap happen? Did the problem happen right away or was everything okay for a period of time after the swap?

Old 09-22-2010, 08:46 PM
j**71

The swap was about two years ago. My father in law owned the van then. It sat in his yard for about a year or so after it and got used very little. After the swap the van ran good with no codes. Like I said after it sat for while he developed code. He gave it to me and I have paid hundreds of dollars to people that claimed it to be fixed only to have the engine light come on and the van starting running bad ittermittenly again. It is worse in the mornings if that helps any. But will hesitate and back fire at anytime and sometimes run for days before doing it again. I am scared to pull out in traffic, due to the loss of power. It runs like crap for 10 to 40 seconds and the pick up power and run fine. I am not getting any pinging so I don't think it has anything to do with intake gasket. It seems to run fine after resetting codes for a day or to. However, the last two times I have reset it, it only runs for a day before going back to the same problem. It is a good van and the 03 motor only has about 20k miles on it. Would love to keep it, but no one can seem to fix it.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:00 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Just to rule out the fuel pump being weak, you should do a fuel pressure test to see if you're getting the required 31-33 PSI. All of the symptom point to a bad fuel pump, but that doesn't mean it is the culprit. Doing the pressure test will tell a lot.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:53 PM
j**71

I was just thinking that today. Didn't know what the pressure should be. Thank you. Will try any suggestionsat this point.

Quick Reply: 2000 ram 2500 Van hesitating and backfiring