Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

turn signals & radio looses power on & off

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 10:43 AM
moparman54
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bottom cover for steering column

I'm making a little progress........... found another screw hiding under the tilt wheel release........only after slightly trashing the plastic trying to pry the two covers apart.

Now, how on earth does the tilt wheel release come off to allow the bottom cover to come off? My manual doesn't have it.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:14 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by moparman54
Now, how on earth does the tilt wheel release come off to allow the bottom cover to come off? My manual doesn't have it.
It threads out just as if it were a bolt.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:58 PM
moparman54
Default completely different switch

Got my new ignition switch. Dodge must have made some changes in 02 'cause my switch looks completely different than in the Haynes manual. It's not even in the same place and mounts completely different. The tilt lever was easy. The rubber handle just slid off of the lever, allowing the lever to fit easily through the hole in the bottom cover. My ignition switch is located on the other side of the column from the key cylinder and has no mounting screws at all. It just snaps in to the cylinder from behind. The manual shows it under the cylinder, screwed on to the key side.

Has anyone changed one of these like I have?

Old 12-29-2010, 06:48 PM
moparman54
Default switch is in

Job is done but not without frustration. Haynes manual does not have the right ignition switch listed for the 2002 Ram van.

Why don't I learn............

Always buy an original manual made just for that vehicle.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:18 AM
02 Ram Van 1500
Amateur

Get a pair of slip joint pliers or similiar and grab the tab end of the flipper handle when the handle is in it's relaxed position. pull the tab toward the driver's seat and the tab will unsnap from the side of the shaft at a 90 degree angle to the end of the round shaft. Don't try to pull it off in the direction of the driver's door! It snaps on the side of the shaft.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:24 PM
moparman54
Default tilt wheel lever

Thanks, 02! I did just that and it came off easily. Just wondering.......did you wind up getting any help from a manual, or did you just look at the job and figure it out, like I did?

I'm always leary of not following a guided path when it comes to electronics and ignition switches, but it turned out fine.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:49 AM
02 Ram Van 1500
Amateur

Hi Mo,
I didn't have a manual to help. I'm with you on using a manual. You never know when there is a specific order of dissasembly and assembly to avoid breaking something or redoing a step to accomplish the job.

I was looking to buy an ignition switch and wanted to get an idea of the price. A couple of sites that sold the switch had some step by step pictures and instructions on how to do the job, although they weren't detail complete. I also did a search on typing "how to ..." and that also helped. I had to combine the different sites and compile them as well as using my brain and logic to see how to do the job. I had real concern for the airbag system accidentally firing off. I didn't have any information on that other than someone saying to disarm it. I already had the battery disconnnected and removed the 2 airbag fuses just in case there was some stored energy. It took me about 3 hours outside in the frigid cold wind to do it. Since then, not a problem at all. Even the headlights seem brighter. I noticed that the manufacturer used by Borg Warner (Pep Boys), was the same as the original part. The picture of the one in this thread looked completely different.

My tilt mechanism is broken and I need assistance in repairing that. I thought it would be just a broken lever. Not so, from what I can see, there is a cable mechanism that routes down the column from the lever mechanism and upward out of sight. Not sure on how to approach that. Any ideas?

Glad you were able to get it done. This is a great site for help!

Old 12-31-2010, 09:54 AM
02 Ram Van 1500
Amateur

Did you find your switch?

Old 01-01-2011, 10:24 AM
ksbc87

We just purchased a used handicap van and we had experienced the power windows, radio, turn signal going off. However, this time we were driving down the road and not only did the power windows, radio and turn signals stop working, but the engine completely died!! Are these related? I turned the key off and on quickly about three times and the engine started right up, but the radio, power windows and turn signals didn't come on till I turned it off and on again....

Does this sound like the same thing you all are discussing?? HELP!!!!

Old 01-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes that does seem to be your problem also.

Quick Reply: turn signals & radio looses power on & off