Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Exhaust Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 08:41 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by d2fel
my van would be in a scrapyard if not for this forum
So you're saying that if it wasn't for us, you'd be driving a new vehicle?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:02 PM
d2fel
Amateur
Location: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=100000188795062
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alloro
So you're saying that if it wasn't for us, you'd be driving a new vehicle?
Thats about right.

and in case anyone got off track...Im torn as to what gaskets...I saw these remflex gaskets...they appear interesting, but not sure if anyone has any first hand knowledge of them. they are a bit spendy as far as gaskets go, but coming in at less than 40 bux im really not to bummed by that if its at least quiet and proven cause i'm tired of them blowing. any thoughts?

Old 01-15-2011, 10:48 PM
Supradude
Rookie

Well since no company uses copper for stock gaskets, then it's not likely that you would've ever replaced a copper stock one, now is it?!
Now why do you think that is? is it because the cost or maybe to ensure work for mechanics?
My experience with copper gaskets is with my 68 440 dodge Charger, it blew stock gaskets twice, installed copper, 10 years later sealed tight. On my 68 dodge A100 van with a 78 360 Truck engine, replaced stock gaskets at least 10 times the first 5 years, installed copper gaskets sealed tight the next 12 years until I gave it away. On my 78 454 suburban, stockgaskets replaced three times, installe copper, sealed tight for the next 4 years until I sold it. Friend and family have similar experiences using copper gaskets. So ya I have no experience with copper gaskets, and nobody really does. It's best to give positive input to the OP from experience, and remember there are other people with experience in things others have none in.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:43 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Supradude
Now why do you think that is? is it because the cost or maybe to ensure work for mechanics?
Why it's the cost of course. Do the math, save $1 per vehicle and pump out 10 million vehicles per year and what have you saved?

Old 01-17-2011, 11:31 PM
Supradude
Rookie

Why it's the cost of course. Do the math, save $1 per vehicle and pump out 10 million vehicles per year and what have you saved?

I agree 100%, so in forums when someone’s asks for advice, those of us who have some experience at solving that same problem can help others by giving their best advice. In this case the OP has an exhaust gasket problem so my best advice from experience is solve it once and for all with a copper exhaust gasket.
To the OP, go to Summit Racing, type in Copper Exhaust Gasket, then on the left side use the menus to narrow it down to an 87 dodge 318. Prices range from 23.00 to 49.00.
Good Luck

Old 01-18-2011, 12:30 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Supradude
so in forums when someone’s asks for advice, those of us who have some experience at solving that same problem can help others by giving their best advice. In this case the OP has an exhaust gasket problem so my best advice from experience is solve it once and for all with a copper exhaust gasket.
Well thank God you showed up just in time to instruct us all in how a help forum works.

Now as far as your self-proclaimed great advice goes, listen close...you're wrong. You're wrong because the OP doesn't have an issue due to a bad choice in gasket material, he has an issue with a defective weld on the header he installed. The defective weld is keeping the header flange too far away from the head for the gasket to be able to seal properly. The CORRECT course of action is to fix the defective weld, then he can use any damn gasket that pleases him.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:32 PM
d2fel
Amateur
Location: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=100000188795062

where is the love....I sure didn't mean to start an argument
I appreciate advice of everyone and am going to get the defective weld fixed and throw some copper gaskets on there to boot, since they're off and after the weld is fixed they shouldn't blow I don't mind spendin' a few extra bucks on a high end gasket. call it a twofer I guess. cheers gents

Old 01-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Supradude
Rookie

Well thank God you showed up just in time to instruct us all in how a help forum works.

Now as far as your self-proclaimed great advice goes, listen close...you're wrong. You're wrong because the OP doesn't have an issue due to a bad choice in gasket material, he has an issue with a defective weld on the header he installed. The defective weld is keeping the header flange too far away from the head for the gasket to be able to seal properly. The CORRECT course of action is to fix the defective weld, then he can use any damn gasket that pleases him.

LMAO I didn't offer advice on the welds, someone already did that, he knew he had to have them addressed at a local shop. I offered Self Proclaimed Experienced Advice on his coming gasket selection.
BUT You WIN anyways, after all you focused on my response instead of focusing on the OPs questions.
Have a Nice Day

To the OP, I apologize, sometimes folks get their feelings hurt when someone on a forum offers a solution to a problem without going through them first. Hope you get it all fixed up once and for all. Exhaust leaks rob you of power, and MPGs.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Advice needed