Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Exhaust Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 06:21 PM
d2fel
Amateur
Location: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=100000188795062
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Exhaust Advice needed

Hello again. back in florida for good.

Alright so my true dual exhaust project is somewhat of a nightmare at this point. Got the van running like a top but she sounds well ... AWFUL. Looking for some friendly advice.
Installed headman headers which I had coated myself by CradinIndustries in texas (great work, shameless plug) to my dismay i soon realized the header had a poor weld as is not complete where the header pipe meets the block if that makes sense. essentially block - gasket - area im talking about. sorry for the cryptic description.

Im on my third gasket for that side. the gasket will keep things normal for a bit but due to the shoddy weld it eventually blows at the same point every time. my van sounds like a really loud cross between a go kart and junk motorcycle and drives me and the neighbors bonkers. you can hardly hold a conversation in the van.

So...solutions?, buy new headers or but stock exhaust manifold. or is there some double gasket trick i may have not tried or some miracle gasket. I have tried having it rewelded but no one i know is able to fix it. and ive consulted A LOT of dudes. Any advice would be great im going bonkers and want my van back. its parked til i figure it out and im driving my lame sedan. me and my neighborhood would love if this gets fixed

1987 B-150 318, carb, with AC, air pump bypassed, no cats

Old 12-07-2010, 06:52 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

I don't understand the problem, because any "competent" welding shop should be able to fix the weld for you.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:40 PM
d2fel
Amateur

i know my description was cryptic, its not the top weld if you were looking directly down into the pipes from where they link up to the block. the one weld is just super thin in the on corner thus creating an uneveness in pressure on that point and over time the gasket gives out there. I tried making a paint file to show it but its not allowing an upload. all the different welders i have taken it to have told me they cant fix it and make everything flush again...could be im talking to the wrong guys but ive about exhausted all my local options.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:32 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Send me a PM, I'll give you my E mail, send me the photo, I'll post it here. Or you can open a free Photobucket or Flickr account and just paste the Img code URL in the thread.

But I'm with Alloro, I cannot understand how a competent welder cannot repair it. Perhaps the photo will enlighten us.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

If I am understanding this correctly he installed header pipes on the engine and one of the pipes to the flange that attaches to the head has the bad wield point. If so then the header needs to be put in jig to hold it correctly while it is being wielded.

But here I have to agree with Alloro and Landyacht318 if the wielding shop is a good one they can build their own jig in a few minutes and get this thing wielded up for you. You would have to pull it and take it to them of course.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:19 PM
d2fel
Amateur
Thumbs up

"If I am understanding this correctly he installed header pipes on the engine and one of the pipes to the flange that attaches to the head has the bad wield point. If so then the header needs to be put in jig to hold it correctly while it is being wielded."

That is correct...sorry I have been out of touch for a few due to travel, but yes thats exactly it. I have been looking for someone to try and weld that. I will have it off one of these weekends and post/PM a picture to give you guys a better understanding. If I am unable to find a welder in the area...is double gasket even an option or is it best to just put stock manifolds back on...i feel like that would have a giagantic waste of cash.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by d2fel
If I am unable to find a welder in the area...is double gasket even an option or is it best to just put stock manifolds back on...i feel like that would have a giagantic waste of cash.
Yes you would have to put the stock manifolds back on. Do not try using a double gasket, it will only make the problem worse.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Supradude
Rookie

I'm a big fan of copper exhaust gaskets for both headers and stock manifolds, never had one leak, but have replaced a zillion stock gasket types over the years.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:27 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Supradude
but have replaced a zillion stock gasket types over the years.
Well since no company uses copper for stock gaskets, then it's not likely that you would've ever replaced a copper stock one, now is it?!

Old 01-14-2011, 07:49 PM
d2fel
Amateur

found a guy finally and he is super chill and beyond reasonable and laughed at the fact the no one claimed to know how to help, he just said it was laziness cause its such a small job that its not worth their time, in this economy thats unreal but whatever. he is gonna sort it out so he said. he said he will take some pictures of the before during and after so I can have them to show what the issue was to headman. so now Im torn as to what gaskets...I saw these remflex gaskets...they appear interesting, but not sure if anyone has any first hand knowledge of them. they are a bit spendy as far as gaskets go, but coming in at less than 40 bux im really not to bummed by that if its at least quiet and proven cause i'm tired of them blowing. any thoughts? pictures to come.

thanks my van would be in a scrapyard if not for this forum

Quick Reply: Exhaust Advice needed