Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Fusible link on 1992 Dodge B350

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Florida boy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fusible link on 1992 Dodge B350

I have a 92 B350 that has no power to the fuse box at positions 13, 14, 15, and 16. These are "hot all the time" fuses that control the headlights, power door locks, warning buzzers and horn. The manual shows a fusible link in the system connecting a 6 gauge black wire from the battery to a 12 gauge white wire going to those positions on the fuse box. I have been unable to find that fusible link. Does anyone have any idea where it's located??
Thanks in advance

Old 12-24-2010, 10:53 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do a search in this forum, the fuseable links should be found under the Master brake cylinder along the firewall.

In the recent months more people have had issues with this than other things.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:48 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts
Old 12-27-2010, 08:50 AM
Florida boy

I do appreciate the reply. Now I have an idea where to look. Unfortunately, it's 29 degrees outside and I'm in Florida so that sort of reduces my efforts towards actually finding it. Got to wait for warmer days. Thanks again.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:53 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Florida boy
Unfortunately, it's 29 degrees outside and I'm in Florida so that sort of reduces my efforts towards actually finding it.
29 degrees...heck we still have barbecues in our shorts and tee shirts up here when it's 29 out. It great because we don't have to buy ice for the beer.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:52 PM
Florida boy

This thing is breaking my brain. The fusible link was fine. But I didn't have power to the feed at fuse positions 13,14,15,and 16. I pulled the glove box and fuse block out and now I had power to the feed. Still no headlights. I pulled the instrument cluster out and unwrapped the harness down at the firewall. By now I had the battery disconnected but I have continuity from the hot battery lead, to the fuse buss, to the light switch, to the 50 pin connector on the firewall and to the headlights. I'm busy tomorrow but I'll put it back together Thursday and see if things work. First time I ever fixed something by just taking it apart. (fingers crossed)

Old 12-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Florida boy

I've narrowed down the problem but still haven't come across a fix. I have battery power to the 50 pin connector on the firewall side on the red/white wire, which is the one I need. But the power doesn't come through to the cab side. I diconnected the 50 pin plug and most of the bayonets were pretty badly corroded so I filed them clean and did as best I could on the receptacle side. When I put it back together, I still had no power coming through to the cab side on that wire. I ran out of daylight so I'll try again tomorrow. This is really getting to not be fun anymore.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:56 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Even cleaned up, the contact (female end) could've spread out and is not holding on snuggly.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Florida boy

I suspect you are correct but the problem is fixed now. All of the other blades in the connector read fine through the firewall except the red/white wire. So, I cut the wires off on both sides of the firewall, drilled a hole through the firewall and added enough wire to connect them together on the cab side. I made sure all connections were secure and waterproof. I now have things working that didn't work before.

I really do appreciate your help on this. I would probably still be looking for the fusible link. It doesn't look anything like I expected it to.

I also have an '06 Chrysler T&C Touring and a '98 Plymouth Grand Voyager Expresso so I'm no stranger to Mopars, but this one sure had me going for awhile. HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all

Quick Reply: Fusible link on 1992 Dodge B350