Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

03 van quit

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011 | 02:26 PM
36 willys
|
Amateur
Default 03 van quit

Last week my '03 ram van 1500 (5.2 magnum) just died-no cough, sputter, lurch, nothing. Had it towed home. Had spark and 50psi at the fuel rail.
Set it at #1 TDC on compression stroke and pulled dist cap - rotor didn't look quite right, so I pulled the dist ( yeah I know, stupid move) made sure cam gear was where it was supposed to be and re-installed dist. Rotor now semed to be where it belonged. Not having access to a scanner, I set the sync with a voltmeter - scribed line from block to distributor lined up very close.
tried starting the motor, it won't even fart unless I rotate the dist CCW about one plug position It'll start now but runs like crap until I rotate dist CW back to where I set the sync , but it won't start in this position.
Went back and did everything over again, this time replaced crank and cam sensors with ones from a running 5.2. It does the same thing.
Any ideas ? I had problems with this van a while back (search "van whistle" in forums) the dealership replaced the motor and it's only got 20K on it- a new timing chain and gears were installed at this time. What else can I check before considering tearing into the chain only to find it might not be the problem ?
Thanks for your time - any help gratefully welcome.

Old 08-09-2011 | 12:19 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator

Originally Posted by 36 ******
Had spark
1. Had spark where, at the coil, at the center tower of the cap, or at the spark plugs?
2. Have you done a compression test on any of the cylinders? Results?
3. Did you try spraying carb cleaner into the throttle body to see if it would fire up?

Old 08-09-2011 | 07:03 PM
36 willys
|
Amateur
Default Thanks Alloro

Had spark at the plugs, tried a small shot of gas down the tb - nothing.
When I first checked the dist, I went to #6 TDC as #1 is such a PITA. I only checked compression on #6 and #1 thinking it's gotta be a timing issue since it will run if I move the dist. Thinking it's run fine the last 20K, didn't even consider doing a complete compression test as it didn't seem relevant considering what's happening. I'll do a comp test tonight and post. Any other ideas?

Old 08-09-2011 | 07:24 PM
alloro

Any other ideas?
Yep, bad coil. Since the carb cleaner didn't get any reaction then the spark is not strong enough inside the cylinders.

Old 08-09-2011 | 09:04 PM
36 willys
|
Amateur
Default Alloro - you da man !

Wasn't even considering coil - it would run if I moved distributor , right ? Went out and pulled the coil off my other 5.2, put it in and she fired right up ! I checked the working coil with a meter - primary @1.4 ohms, secondary @ 13,200 . checked the old coil- same primary resistance secondary @ 0 . How the heck did the motor run at all ? Anyway , I'll run this coil till I can get a replacement - any suggestions other than stock ? Now if you could solve the whistle problem, ( just kidding)
Alloro, thanks a million!

Old 08-09-2011 | 09:59 PM
alloro

any suggestions other than stock?

Now if you could solve the whistle problem
Stock will do just fine.

What whistling problem?
Is it a true whistle or more of a sucking sound?
Is it just at idle or even driving at highway speeds?

Old 08-09-2011 | 10:51 PM
36 willys
|
Amateur
Default van whistle

If you search van whistle you should find it. There is a you tube clip so you can hear it. 20K ago, the local dealership changed the motor under warranty- didn't solve any of my problems. If you read through completely you might get a feel for how frustrating it's been. Had a lot of well meaning people reply, but it seemed many of them weren't reading the entire post or they just didn't get it. The last thing I did was the kegger mod - fabbed a 1/4" aluminum plate and cut the runners back about 1 1/2". made no difference. Still can't understand why I get the extra 4 or 5 MPG with the O.D. OFF ! Anyone I talk to says "don't make sense". The dealership's service manager shrugged his shoulders and said " I guess thats the way it is"
If you could read the thread carefully and offer an opinion, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks again.

Old 08-09-2011 | 11:30 PM
alloro

If you search van whistle you should find it.
Ah yes I found it and remember it quite well now.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...n-whistle.html

As I recall, I told you what was wrong several times and you kept dismissing my advice. How's that working out for you?

Last edited by alloro; 08-09-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-10-2011 | 08:49 AM
36 willys
|
Amateur
Default Whistle

Alloro, When the motor was changed by the dealership, they put in a new water pump. I replaced both idler and tensioner pulleys, swapped out the alternator, threw a new bearing at the a/c compressor and tried the P.S. pump out of the parts van. When the motor was replaced , they used a short block and none of the issues were resolved. I can live with the screaming whistle, but the MPG issue is eating at me. had a '91 B250 extended van with 5.2 and OD that used to give me almost 24 on the highway until it just rusted away.
I noticed the '03 runs 16" tires - since this was the last year for the ram van , Dodge was using up the power train stuff from '02. Is it possible the factory used a diff out of an '02 meant for 15" tires? I haven't gotten around to checking the gear ratio yet- considered pulling the 15's off another van to try it out. Getting the revs up increases my vac and MPG. I'm starting to think anythings possible. Opinion?

Quick Reply: 03 van quit