Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

97 ram van - removing seats and seatbelts

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:09 AM
diabolik!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 ram van - removing seats and seatbelts

just bought a 97 ram 2500 van and i'm trying to remove the center captain's chairs and seatbelts. its a conversion, so i don't know which parts are factory and which parts were put in by the conversion company. anyone know how to get the seats out, and do i need a special tool to remove the seatbelts?

any info would be great

thanks

Old 08-25-2011, 09:59 AM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The conversion company bolted them thru the floor. You'll need to have someone hold the seat bolts with an open end wrench inside the van while you go underneath and remove the nuts. Probably 3/4" or 7/8" size wrench and socket needed.

This can be a tough job. If you have access to a pneumatic impact driver it would make the job a heck of a lot easier.

There are four bolts per chair. Same thing for the rear seat / folding bed unit. Don't forget to seal up the holes when you are done!

Seatbelt anchors use either a T50 or T55 star wrench, can't remember which.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:28 PM
diabolik!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the response, that really helps me out.

one more question though. what do I use to seal up the holes?

Old 08-25-2011, 12:30 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty93RamVan
You'll need to have someone hold the seat bolts with an open end wrench inside the van while you go underneath and remove the nuts.
If you don't have a helper, clamp a vise-grips on the bolt. When you're underneath turning the nut the vise-grips will stop turning when it hits the leg.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

You can put the bolts back into the holes to seal them up.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:32 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the holes are a standard size, use a plastic body plugs. Most parts stores have an isle section with products made by "HELP". You will find a few sizes there. REMEMBER to plug the hole from the OUTSIDE. This way, the over hang lip seals out the road junk.

Last edited by stev; 08-27-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain

Originally Posted by diabolik!
...one more question though. what do I use to seal up the holes?
The bolts and nuts you remove from the floor are going to be rusty and generally quite nasty; you won't want to re-use them. The holes in the floor will have been drilled by the conversion company so they will be irregular.

If you have carpet inside the van (which I'm assuming you do) then use of the black plastic Cap-Plugs will be difficult.

I sealed mine using clear silicone, fender washers and 1' long 3/8" nuts and bolts. Place a fender washer through one of the bolts and apply a bead of silicone around the bottom side of the fender washer and drop the end of the bolt through the floor directly on top of the carpet. Apply another bead of silicone around a second fender washer and slip it through the bottom of the bolt against the body and then affix a 3/8" nut and tighten.

Repeat until done. Finish up with some Rubberized Undercoating on the underside where the bolts come thru the floor.

I used Carriage Bolts when I did mine because the round bolt heads don't interfere with cargo on the van floor.

Last edited by Rusty93RamVan; 08-27-2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: added photos
Old 08-27-2011, 03:38 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by stev
plug the hole from the OUTSIDE. That way, the over hang lip seal out the road junk.
I humbly beg to differ. Install them from the outside, then do something like kneel on them from inside and you'll pop them right out.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain

Originally Posted by alloro
I humbly beg to differ. Install them from the outside, then do something like kneel on them from inside and you'll pop them right out.
Indeed, the plugs wouldn't last long if installed from the bottom.

IMHO the CapPlugs are a poor option regardless of which way you install them. The seat holes drilled by the conversion company are ragged plus the factory floor is is ribbed; CapPlugs just don't work well for this purpose.

My way is best (he said humbly).

Quick Reply: 97 ram van - removing seats and seatbelts