Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

A/C Clutch bearing rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 12:20 PM
WE-B-VANNIN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Clutch bearing rattle?

Needing a 2nd opinion here. 2001 Ram Van 1500, 3.9 V6. Noticed a rattle under the hood a while back, progressively getting worse. After some research and physical investigation under the hood, it seemed my tensioner pulley was doing a dance that matched up with the rattle. Replaced the assembly yesterday......rattle still there! Started new investigation, I noticed it stops when I turn the A/C off. I'm thinking clutch bearing now. Can this be replaced on the vehicle? Any instite to the process is welcome. How many parts do i need to remove under the hood to get this job done?

Old 09-04-2011, 01:16 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

The clutch bearing only turns when the A/C is off. When the A/C is on, the two halves of the clutched are locked up and the compressor shaft starts turning. It's the compressor itself that's giving you the noise, not the clutch bearing.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:28 PM
WE-B-VANNIN

Is there a way to verify? If Pull the belt and free spin the pulley I should hear the noise, yes? I may be stating the obvious but if Its the compressor itself, I am looking at replacing? The A/C seems to be working fine, if i just let it go until it gives out am I looking at any adverse affects?

Old 09-04-2011, 04:58 PM
WE-B-VANNIN

New twist.....I may be a bit luckier than expected at least as far as having to replace a compressor. By a stroke of luck I have managed to determine the rattle is more near the tensioner pulley like I thought in the begining. It does only happen when i turn on the A/C however it increases and decreases with the fan motor speed. The strange thing is I cant really hear it inside the van. Anyone have any ideas? I have a single A/C system but I have a front and rear blower, the rattle only happens when the front fan speed is adjusted.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your clutch fan for any looseness. Might need to remove the belt to check but any up/down and/or side to side play means that the water pump and or the clutch fan bearings are bad.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:43 PM
WE-B-VANNIN

If it was the fan clutch, would the A/C compressor have an affect of when it rattled? guess its an easy check, looks like that will be the next thing. I pulled the A/C blower motor hoping that was where the rattle came from, no such luck. Unit works like a charm all speeds with no strange noises. Thanks for the suggestion, I will post results.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In short yes it can have an affect. Also check the idler pulley as well.

Quick Reply: A/C Clutch bearing rattle?