Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Bucking, Hesitation, Loss of power and backfire in intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 06:37 PM
gcwhite1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Bucking, Hesitation, Loss of power and backfire in intake

Ladies and gentlemen,

I hope I put enough info in the heading.

Here's my deal and I also see others having the same issue. I have replaced the following:

Plugs
Plug wires
Ignition coil
Front and read O2 sensors
TPS sensor

I think thats it.

What I am wondering is, what if the fuel that is being recirculated for the fresh incoming fuel is not circulating properly or not at all. Would that also cause the issues that me and others here have?

Also does this engine have an EGR valve?

It seems that some folks with this issue find different solutions. What I can say is that when I swapped my TPS sensor. I do not think that it was bad, BUT, I do think that it was not has effective as the new unit (and as a result maybe it is bad.) I read the ohms of the unit and the old had 3.9k to 4.9k, the new unit has 2.4k to 4.3k. And once swapped, I did notice that episodes of the problem seemed to be further apart. Could be my imagination.

Absolutely any assistance will be so very much appreciated!!

Here are my vehicle specs:
2002 Dodge Ram Van B1500
(Conversion)
5.9 liter engine
Throttle body injection
Auto Tranny
85000 miles

Old 09-05-2011, 10:43 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by gcwhite1
What I am wondering is, what if the fuel that is being recirculated for the fresh incoming fuel is not circulating properly or not at all. Would that also cause the issues that me and others here have?
1. What do you mean by recirculated fuel?
2. Did you do a fuel pressure test yet?

Old 09-06-2011, 12:35 AM
gcwhite1

Originally Posted by alloro
1. What do you mean by recirculated fuel?
2. Did you do a fuel pressure test yet?

I guess what I meant to say was recirculating exhaust gas into the intake. This process is called Exhaust Gas Recirculation. Some vehicles have a valve, and I can see that if this valve is not operating correctly that the exhaust gases could get trapped and ignite in the intake chamber. And yes I am grasping for straws but thats I have to grasp at, at the moment.

No I haven't because I thought that since it gets fuel most of the time that this is not an issue. And how would this be causing the backfiring in the intake?

I will also say that when I took out the air filter this weekend when I changed the TPS sensor, it looked as if I just put it in. Which I thought was strange since its been in there for over 3 - 4 months now. Its a K&N filter. Thinking about changing it out to a regular filter until I get this issue resolved.

Also, where is this plenum gasket that everyone is talking about?

Old 09-06-2011, 02:06 AM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not believe a 2002 has Throttle body injection, but multiport fuel injection, an injector for each cylinder versus the 2 in the throttle body.
It also does not have an EGR valve

My '89 is TBI, and when one injector failed, I was getting horrible surges, bucking and near stalling, but no backfires through the intake.

The plenum gasket is on the bottom of the intake manifold

Old 09-06-2011, 08:46 AM
gcwhite1

Originally Posted by landyacht318
I do not believe a 2002 has Throttle body injection, but multiport fuel injection, an injector for each cylinder versus the 2 in the throttle body.
It also does not have an EGR valve
Reply much appreciated, however I can assure you (with pics if needed) that the vehicle has TBI. The first thing I said when I bought the vehicle was that I was surprised to still see it around.

And after I wrote my last post, I read others and many noted the same thing. Now what I am wounder is how this process is happening if its happening at all.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:49 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by gcwhite1
And how would this be causing the backfiring in the intake?
Low fuel pressure leans out the mixture and will cause the backfiring.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:09 PM
gcwhite1

Originally Posted by alloro
Low fuel pressure leans out the mixture and will cause the backfiring.
I will have it checked out. Thanks. Might get it done as soon as tomorrow.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:46 AM
gcwhite1
Thumbs up

"and to all a good night..."

well folks, its done. Took it in to a local dealer on Thursday, and on Wednesday he called and said' I think I got it finished. I say that because we could not recreate the issue after we fixed a couple things." These words ring very loud to me because I heard them before and they were not true. Well this time I think that they are. I drove it all day yesterday and it did not even feel like it wanted to exhibit any of the symptoms as before.

Ok some of you are saying ""what the hell fixed it!"

Well the issue (for me) was that there was antifreeze and water in the the intake area. And when it hot, it would expand (as it should) and get into the intake chamber. And as a result interfering with fuel air mixture going into the intake. they replaced a "T" hose coupler that was defective. Not sure which one was replaced but will get it soon. That coupler was allowing antifreeze to get into the chamber. Once it was replaced that stopped happening.

Oh Happy Days!

I hope this is helpful to someone out there. If more info is needed just let me know.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:44 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any update on where this coolant "T" fitting that was replaced is located? I have a similar symptom on my van.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:49 PM
blazendizz

i had the same problem on my 98 durango. idk if this is what is wrong with yours but check and make sure your firing order is correct

Quick Reply: Bucking, Hesitation, Loss of power and backfire in intake