Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

98 Ram 1500 Conversion Van issues-help

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 01:30 PM
T.W.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 98 Ram 1500 Conversion Van issues-help

My Dad passed away and I have inherited his 1998 Ram 1500 conversion van. It has the 3.9L V-6 engine and only 28,500 original miles. Issues that I would like some help and information with, and some history. First, it had been sitting idle for a time and the battery was dead – replaced it, van started and ran OK. Next found that there was a stuck front brake caliper – I’ve done a rebuild of the two fronts and everything seems to be OK. QUESTION: The manual I used for repair said to bleed the system starting with anti-lock valves. The only thing I could find was under and at the front edge of the battery tray, two aluminum looking devices, neither of which has a typical “bleeder valve”. Does this (aluminum looking device) get bleed and if so how? I see two rubber plugs that cover some type of valves, but I don’t recognize the type of valve or know what function they serve? I did bleed the system at each wheel, it does have good pedal, and the ABS check light comes on and goes off when the van is started. Do I leave well enough alone, or am I missing something?

Next will be to change the oil, coolant (I guess just use regular PRESTONE?) and replace the drive belt. The “cruise” control light activated, but there was no cruise – found a hose came off the vacuum ball behind the passenger side headlight, put it back on – now all is well wit the cruise.

Last issue (for now) is: there are 3 hoses attached with a plastic tie to the oil fill pipe at the fire wall. The top hose of the 3 is about ¾ of an inch wide and right where it makes a turn toward the drivers side, it has a very jagged cut end. I have looked everywhere and I cannot find anything where I see this hose would have been attached to. QUESTION: Can anyone tell me what this hose is/does, and where does it end/connect to? The 2 additional hoses under the top hose are about 3/8 wide and they both turn toward the battery box and connect to a cylindrical type device just to the right of where the steering shaft comes thru the firewall.

ANY help and information will be appreciated!!!!!!

Old 09-29-2011, 09:02 PM
bakerlattie

I've got the same year and setup can you post a pic of the hoses your talking about?

Old 09-29-2011, 09:52 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, post a pic.

But the hoses you are referring to are part of the EVAP system. I have the same jagged hose end on my '98 and was also wondering where (if anywhere) it should go. I'm thinking maybe this just vents to the atmosphere but it would be very good to know for sure. Doesn't make any sense to me it would have a jagged piece of hose stuck on the end of the fitting -- but it did.

When I did my front brakes I just replaced both calipers instead of rebuilding because they only cost about $55 each. I also replaced the flexible hoses and would recommend you do the same if you have not already done so.

I used a Mity Vac handheld vacuum pump and just bled the system at the calipers and everything is fine. I think you only have to bleed the ABS fittings when you change something above them, like the master cylinder. In that case you just crack the fittings since there are no bleed nipples on the blocks. A very messy job.

As long as you didn't let the brake fluid resevoir run dry you should be OK.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:21 PM
T.W.

Thank you - I don't know HOW to post a pic; but I'll take the pic and do some research to get it up online.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:03 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T.W.
Thank you - I don't know HOW to post a pic; but I'll take the pic and do some research to get it up online.
You need to have 10 posts in the threads here to then post images.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:17 PM
T.W.
Default more info...hopefully some help

I was fortunate and spotted a 99 Ram B1500 Van at work. Although this was a V-8 model (not certain which one) it had the 3 hoses that I referenced in my last paragraph.

I previously said: " there are 3 hoses attached with a plastic tie to the oil fill pipe at the fire wall. The top hose of the 3 is about ¾ of an inch wide and right where it makes a turn toward the drivers side, it has a very jagged cut end. I have looked everywhere and I cannot find anything where I see this hose would have been attached to. QUESTION: Can anyone tell me what this hose is/does, and where does it end/connect to? The 2 additional hoses under the top hose are about 3/8 wide and they both turn toward the battery box and connect to a cylindrical type device just to the right of where the steering shaft comes thru the firewall.

On the 99 V-8 model, the top hose that I reference is attached to a piece of plastic-like device, such that it appears to act like a service port of a sort, but is CAPPED at the end. (The other 2 hoses - like mine - go to a cylinder device under the battery box and one of these hoses has a green cap along the way like a service port). I figure if Dodge put this piece on the V-8, it is probably the missing piece on mine. Rather than just cap the hose (which I will do) I would like to replace this plastic port-like device thing.

Can anyone verify that this hose is indeed capped, and can anyone advise the name/part number of this device? {sorry for the lack of pics, but I don't have enough postings to be able to post). A PM might work - let me know. THANKS.

TW

Old 10-17-2011, 11:58 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain

Well, this is getting interesting. I am following along closely because my jagged hose on the end of the third pipe on my van probably means I'm missing the same "plastic port-type device" from my EVAP system.

The hose is located fairly close to the serpentine belt so maybe the end of the third hose got caught in the belt and got chewed up. (?)

I will guess that the green service port might be for performing a smoke test on the EVAP system in a case where a technician is troubleshooting a fuel smell or leak.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:18 AM
T.W.

Yes sir; my thoughts exactly on this being caught by the belt. I guess maybe I can try a local Dealership and attempt to explain what/where it is and see if their parts diagrams show anything - but I don't have a relationship with them and have a feeling I just get blowed off. At least after spotting the Van at work, I know that there is a "proper" end to this hose.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain

Sometimes the person at the Mopar parts counter will let you look at their monitor while they look up parts for you. This assumes, of course, that the monitor is close enough for you to see.

Couldn't hurt to ask. If I pass my local Dodge dealer within the next few days I will attempt to do this also so we can nail down this missing part.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain

* Bump *

No new news, huh? Someone around here must have a 98 or newer van with information about what's connected to the end of "Hose Number Three."

Quick Reply: 98 Ram 1500 Conversion Van issues-help