Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

P-0123 Throttle Pos, Sensor code

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:03 PM
FuddleyPJones
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P-0123 Throttle Pos, Sensor code

Hello,

I have a 2001 Ram Van 1500 5.2

It has about 120,000 miles on it and I have multiple issues with it but here is the latest.

P-0123 Throttle Pos, Sensor code

I Cant get into the OBD-II system so I have to read the generic codes (Not sure why at this point)

The engine seems sluggish and when I rev the engine and let it drop down to idel it just dies.

I get the P-0123 code and I replaced the Throttle Pos, Sensor but still dying after rev'ing engine...

Can you please shed light on this???

Also I have several ABS codes I will post separately but if you have info please look at these too.

THANKS ALOT!

Old 09-24-2011, 12:35 AM
FuddleyPJones
Default P-0123 - Throttle Position Sensor - UPDATE - PLEASE HELP!

The saga continues...
I replaced the TPS sensor but the engine still stalls after rev'ing it.... I Then I read VDC readings with the Key On and TPS connected and disconnected - Here are the results

New TPS
Supply Wire (Org./Blk)
Disconnected:5.6 VDC Connected: 0.9 VDC

Signal Wire (Org./Blu)
Disconnected:5.1 VDC Connected: 5.1 VDC

Old TPS
Supply Wire (Org./Blk)
Disconnected:5.9 VDC Connected: 0.3 VDC

Signal Wire (Org./Blu)
Disconnected:5.1 VDC Connected: 5.1 VDC

I replaced the Idle Air Control but it is still doing the same thing.
I tried resetting Computer by removing Batt Cables and then Key-ON as well as shorting cables off the battery to totally drain system but this did not work either.

I examined wires and connections and I removed each of the 3 Computer connections and cleaned and inspected - no difference... UGH!

If I don't get it fixed this weekend I'm gonna have to take it to the Dealership which I really don't want to do...

Last edited by FuddleyPJones; 09-24-2011 at 12:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-24-2011, 06:25 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How are you reading the voltages? Where is the ground wire of the meter connected to? Also what other issues with the engine are you having? With the no connection to the PCM through the ADL I am curious if the PCM is acting up on this vehicle with the trouble here and the weird codes from the ABS system.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:35 PM
FuddleyPJones
Default P-0123 code continues

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Here are the answers to your questions.

I am reading the voltages using the sharp point to pierce the jacket of each wire by the connector. The ground wire of the meter is connected to the engine block.

No other issues with the engine are evident although I did look at the timing using a timing light out of curiosity. The timing was about 5degrees to advanced (to the left) but the line did not always appear in the same spot - it jumped around about 1/4" more to the left erratically.

Sorry, I don't know what an ADL is....

What are the odds the PCM is bad? Is this a dealer-only item?

Old 09-25-2011, 11:27 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ADL is what you connect your code reader to under the dash. Since you are reading positive power on both wires even with the connector to the TPS disconnected I would lean to either a fault in the wiring harness or bad PCM. And with no connection to the PCM with your code reader, and the phantom ABS readings I would lean towards a faulty PCM. I do not believe you should have positive power reading on the signal wire side with it disconnected. Pull the harness from the PCM and TPS and check the wires for proper continuity to be sure that neither is connected by short to the body grounds.

Timing mark jumping that far indicates that it is time to replace the timing chain if the engine is running smooth. If not running smooth then I would not worry about it right now.

Quick Reply: P-0123 Throttle Pos, Sensor code