Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

ABS troubles

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:18 PM
FuddleyPJones
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS troubles

Hello,

I have a 2001 Ram Van 1500 5.2 that is giving multiple ABS codes.
They are as follows:

Code 43 - Short Dump ISO or Open ECU Output - Left Front
Code 55 - Short Dump ISO or Short ECU Output - Left Front
Code 72 - ABS Module ROM Incident

The Brake light has been on for a long time....months

I was going to try tracing the wire from the wheel but I can't even find the Left Front ABS or Speed sensor!!! The only thing going to either of the front wheels is the brake hydraulics line...

As a matter of fact... I find NO wires of any kind going to ANY of the wheels - Front or Back...

Any help would be appreciated - Thanks!

Last edited by FuddleyPJones; 09-22-2011 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wire for the rear ABS goes to the top of the differential; the rear ABS sensor reads the ring gear, not the rear wheels.

Front ABS - if your van has front ABS - should be evident by wires going behind the rotors near where the grease seal is.

I think front ABS is pretty rare, never seen one myself. But if you have it you should definitely see wires.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your van only has RWAL system. The ABS computer sounds like it has fried on you. Some one said many months ago that both the computer and solenoid pack has to be changed out together, I am not sure how true it is. But I would find one from a salvage yard and get both units and try the computer first.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:05 AM
FuddleyPJones
Default ABS Troubles - UPDATE

Big Thanks to both Rusty93RamVan and Mobile Auto Repair for their replys!

I went ahead and replaced the rear ABS sensor on the top of the Diff and I noticed that the BRAKE light went out and the Speedometer begin to work... Yeah!! The sensor housing was busted and I had to fish out some plastic that caps the end..

BUT... I am still getting the following under ABS catagory using AUTO ENGINUITY Diagnostics software:

Code 43 - Short Dump ISO or Open ECU Output - Left Front
Code 55 - Short Dump ISO or Short ECU Output - Left Front
Code 65 - Open Power Relay Contacts

I HAVE CHECKED SEVERAL TIMES AND I KNOW THERE IS NO ABS TO THE FRONT WHEELS SO WHY IN THE HECK AM I GETTING FRONT WHEEL ABS CODES???? !!!!

I have tried to clear them several times and even removed the batt cables and turned key on and shorted cables together in attempt to reset the on-board computer but to no avail.

Any more ideas are welcome.

ALSO - - - I HAVE A P0123 CODE THAT I CANT CLEAR - ITS IN A DIFFERENT THREAD BUT IF YOU HAVE TIME OR KNOWLEDGE THEN PLEASE FIND IT AND RESPOND!

Last edited by FuddleyPJones; 09-24-2011 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-24-2011, 12:25 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

OK, there is a big problem with your codes. Those are for OBD-I and not for your van being OBD-II.

Whatever code reader you are using, stop using it until you have done the key dance of on/off three times and leave on without starting the engine. Then quickly look at the digital odometer for the PXXXX OBD-II codes.

Your code reader is not set right for your van to pull the codes. It's that simple.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:57 AM
FuddleyPJones
Default Code Reader

Hey Stev,

How do you know they are OBD-I Codes?

I am using AUTO ENGINUITY Diagnostics with the Dodge package. Perhaps you are correct that these "Ghost Codes" are bogies but AE Tech Support walked me through the Settings and Connections and I get the same codes with both OBD-II Compliant and OBD-II Non-Compliant settings.

I can live with the Ghost Codes for now because the Brake Light and ABS lights have both extinguished.

The tripple key trick reveals just a P-0123 Code - TPS Switch A High Output - You can find this TBL Code info by reviewing my other thread regarding this Problem.

Quick Reply: ABS troubles