Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Has anyone had their PCM Rebuilt or bought a Rebulit PCM from ACE

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:30 PM
ComicDom1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone had their PCM Rebuilt or bought a Rebulit PCM from ACE

I was looking around the web tonight because I believe I am going to have to replace my PCM.

My alternator out put that should be controlled by the voltage regulator in the PCM appears to be overcharging at random moments but not consistently. The voltage goes anywhere from 14volts up to 17+ from what I observed when Advanced Auto tested it today.

So unless there are other idea's I am thinking that replacing my PCM is the way for me to go next. So I would like to know if anyone has any experience with ACE either rebuilding their original PCM or purchasing a rebuilt one from them.

I am only considering going to them or another company because they offer a lifetime warranty.

Thanks,
Jason

Old 01-24-2012, 11:50 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before condemning the PCM, check the 2 field (smaller) wires leading to the alternator along thier full length. If either one of these is chafed and touching something grounded(shorted), you will get overvoltage if the battery is within 25% of full charge.

Also Check all your grounds. Battery to engine, engine to frame and battery to firewall. Do not just look and wiggle them, but remove file/ wirebrush them shiny and retighten them.

Never heard of ACE, got a link?

Last edited by landyacht318; 01-24-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:19 AM
sparkzz
Veteran

I ordered my ECM from them. The first one they sent arrived with 2 broken/cracked plastic connector hoods. There was no way they were going to snap to the cable connector. I called them up and they said it had to have happened during shipping. (They don't pack them worth a damn.) I had to tell them not possible because there were no broken plastic pieces in the box. They said they would send another, and about 3 days later it arrived. It was ok, and is in my 2000 B3500 now, solved the no-bus problem, and so far works fine.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:56 AM
ComicDom1
Professional

Originally Posted by landyacht318
Before condemning the PCM, check the 2 field (smaller) wires leading to the alternator along thier full length. If either one of these is chafed and touching something grounded(shorted), you will get overvoltage if the battery is within 25% of full charge.

Also Check all your grounds. Battery to engine, engine to frame and battery to firewall. Do not just look and wiggle them, but remove file/ wirebrush them shiny and retighten them.

Never heard of ACE, got a link?
Keep in mind that this Van has sat in Palm Desert CA for the last three years and has not been driven. It was given to me. I drove it back 2000 miles over 3 days with this issue and the check gauges light coming on for a couple of mins or less at different times over this period. Once the check gauges light went out the van straightened up. When I got back I replaced the battery ground to firewall with a new cable and then later that day the check engine light came on and flagged an IAC code. I replaced the IAC today. Again today after having the alternator checked the Check engine light came on and it pulled an IAC code again.

I did replace the battery ground to engine wire already. I will go ahead and remove the engine to firewall tomorrow and clean it. The last one I saw today is on the alternator side. It looks like it is engine to firewall. I guess I will have t get underneath to find the engine to frame ground. I will have to wait until a warmer day to check all my alternator wires.

I would think that any wire that was shorting would cause an undercharge not an overcharge but I will follow through the steps you have suggested.

Here is a link to ACE:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170523971945...84.m1423.l2649

Old 01-25-2012, 02:57 AM
ComicDom1
Professional

Originally Posted by sparkzz
I ordered my ECM from them. The first one they sent arrived with 2 broken/cracked plastic connector hoods. There was no way they were going to snap to the cable connector. I called them up and they said it had to have happened during shipping. (They don't pack them worth a damn.) I had to tell them not possible because there were no broken plastic pieces in the box. They said they would send another, and about 3 days later it arrived. It was ok, and is in my 2000 B3500 now, solved the no-bus problem, and so far works fine.

Thanks for the reply. I saw they offered lifetime warranty but I do not know if that is included if they rebuild yours.

Jason

Old 01-25-2012, 04:22 AM
sparkzz
Veteran

After you order and pay for it, they ship one they have in stock, and you return yours.
They include return shipping label -- I think it was UPS.

Getting your original repaired and returned with warranty -- call them and see, they were easy people to talk to.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:04 PM
ComicDom1
Professional

Talked to Ace today and they said if you want a lifetime warranty on your PCM that they repair, then it will cost you another $100, otherwise its 1 year.

I also contacted S1A electronics in Tilden IL and their price was slightly better and they told me that as long as I own the vehicle its lifetime. If I have it repaired and then sell the vehicle its only 1 year. So I asked if they is in writing and I was told yes and they send the warranty papers once they do the repair. I was told the turn around time was short so I am leaning in that direction but I think I will request a copy of their written warranty before I purchase. The advantage here to me is that they are located in my state and shipping will be fast and I will have recourse to the court system or small claims court if there is a problem with warranty.

Jason

Quick Reply: Has anyone had their PCM Rebuilt or bought a Rebulit PCM from ACE