Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Need help with trans

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Tony1279
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with trans

Hello guys new to the site and hoping for some help. I just bought a 2001 dodge ram van 2500 with the 5.9 and auto trans 219,000 on the clock and running strong my problem is the trans is stuck in limp mode I believe 3rd gear CEL is on took it to autozone and got these codes p1757,p1740 and p0748 I'm stumped because there so many I've googled some of these codes and I'm Thinkin I might need the ecu. Any help is greatly appreciated

Old 02-15-2012, 08:01 PM
ComicDom1
Professional

From my research I think its flagging the TCC solenid switch in the tranny.

If these codes are same from a 1999 to 2001 and the transmissions are the same,

Code P 0748 Gov Pressure Sol Control/Trans Relay Circuits

Code P 1757 Gov Pressure above 3 psi in gear at 0 MPH

I found this during a web search:

Code P 1740 TCC Or OD Solenoid Performance

These are the codes you mentioned that I was able to find that apply to the trans I have in my Van but I do not know if they are the same in your year.

Since you have the codes, why not call a Dodge Dealer or two and see if they are willing to tell you what they are. Make sure you know what transmission is in your Van. Any Dodge dealer should be able to tell you by your Vin number.

Hope this helps,

Jason

Last edited by ComicDom1; 02-15-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:11 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From 1994-2003, the vehicle computer is a PCM.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:07 AM
Tony1279

Yea I ended up finding out the codes I talked to the p.o and he told me he already replaced one sensor in the trans and still the same limp mode then he told me he tried to have the PCM reflashed and it wouldn't take so I guess I need to have it rebuilt idk what route to go what do u guys think

Old 02-16-2012, 10:44 AM
ComicDom1
Professional

Originally Posted by Tony1279
Yea I ended up finding out the codes I talked to the p.o and he told me he already replaced one sensor in the trans and still the same limp mode then he told me he tried to have the PCM reflashed and it wouldn't take so I guess I need to have it rebuilt idk what route to go what do u guys think
Tony, what was the exact sensor the previous owner replaced? It would be nice to have more specific information. Also where did the previous owner attempt to get the PCM re-flashed and what was his reasoning behind it?

You also have not told us what Model # of transmission you have in your van.

I personally do not want to jump to any conclusions, so again I would like more information. I just had my Pcm Rebuild by SIA electronics in Tilden IL. They will check your PCM for problems and if they do not find anything wrong with it then they will charge you something like $89. If they do have to repair it then they will charge you $199 but you will have a lifetime warranty on it as long as you own the vehicle.

Before I would do that I would do a little more investigation. You can end up changing a lot of parts and spending a lot of money that might not be necessary.

Jason

Last edited by ComicDom1; 02-16-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:51 AM
Tony1279

How do u tell what trans you have? I can't get ahold of the guy I bought it off right now I will try to again this weekend

Old 02-17-2012, 09:25 AM
ComicDom1
Professional

Call a local dodge dealer and give them you Vin number. They should be able to look up your van and tell you what trans is supposed to be in it. Just ask for the parts counter and they should be able to tell you. I think I also asked what sensor was changed?

Jason

Trending Topics

Old 02-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Tony1279

Hey guys I talked to the guy I bought it from he replaced the governed one and still doing the same thing and trans shop told him to reflashed PCM he tried and it wouldn't take so I guess I need a new one

Old 02-18-2012, 08:59 AM
ComicDom1
Professional

Originally Posted by Tony1279
Hey guys I talked to the guy I bought it from he replaced the governed one and still doing the same thing and trans shop told him to reflashed PCM he tried and it wouldn't take so I guess I need a new one
Tony, I read this in your first reply. I am certainly not attempting to be difficult but again I still do not feel like enough information has been provided.

You have not mentioned who attempted to re-flash the PCM? Was it the Dodge dealer? If you look at my posts in this forum you can see where I sent my PCM off for repair. Even if you buy a new one, it will have to be programed and they will need the Vin #number of your Van and the mileage before they can redo it. I posted the name and number of a company SIA electronics that will repair your PCM. If you go to a parts store you are going to pay close to $300 for a new PCM and it will still have to be flashed to match your vehicle.

It sounds like you are dead set on getting the PCM replaced. Maybe its the issue and maybe its not. Until enough information is provided I personally cannot help you other than the questions I have already posted in regard to your issue.

Jason

Old 02-18-2012, 10:32 AM
bjr1a
Professional

5.9 Gas engines had the 46RE trans,Diesels had had a version of the same trans....PCM problems are very common but I have not heard of much sucess with re-flashing, they usually just fail......I believe I would unplug the 8-pin connector at trans and see if there is any voltage..This would verify if fuses and relays are sending voltage...Most but not all PCM problems in my experience with dodge PCMs is on the ground side.....If there is no voltage, be sure and check fuses, relays and wiring first..

Brian

Quick Reply: Need help with trans