Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

need help with finding a radiator

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 03:24 PM
jimbo74
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with finding a radiator

i have a 1996, dodge, b2500, 3 speed automatic, 3.9L V6, it has air conditioning. if it matters, it is a glaval primetime conversion van with a short wheelbase

need help with finding a good quality radiator....

i DONT want a plastic tank... really dislike them as they always end up leaking.... however, willing to at least look at them for price comparison

of course, trying to be as frugal as possible, but want to at least look at the whole spectrum and work from there. willing to buy locally or over the internet

looking online, i see that there might be different models.... like heavy duty cooling.... how do i determine if i have the hd or not, and what does it mean to have it? can i run hd radiator on a non-hd vehicle?

Old 03-10-2012, 10:18 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HD cooling radiator will have the oil cooler built into the side plastic tank and a tranny cooler in the other side plastic tank.

As for plastic, they tend to hold up well in northern states that has salted roads more often.

Check out prices at Rock Auto online for deals. Mine was just under $200+shipping last year.

BTW, the copper/brass RAD cores rot often from the inside out too frequently. The Valeo made in Mexico OEM RAD rots out in the worse way. The all aluminum RAD core lasts much longer. Still use the green coolant and distilled water.

Also, never flush with tap water.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-11-2012, 01:49 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

I can't answer as to the plastic or non-plastic tank issue, but as far as low pricing, go here: http://www.radiatorexpress.com/

Old 03-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay away from the Chinese radiators as they are very cheaply made. The "Ready Rad" # 433961 radiator sold at Advance Auto Parts (plastic + aluminum) is made in Mexico and is of much better quality. It costs about $185. Good luck finding a copper or brass tank radiator anywhere unless you find someone with NOS lying around. I would not buy an OEM style radiator even if I could find one - they stink.

As Stev says there are custom made all-aluminum radiators that will fit for your application but you'd be crazy to spend that kind of money on a B2500 IMHO.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:58 PM
jimbo74
Veteran

i have seen some all alluminum rads o nthe net, stock replacements... so might look into those a little more....

http://www.genesisautoparts.com/all_....9l_l6_239.htm

think i saw some otehrs online too

Old 03-11-2012, 10:07 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimbo74
i have seen some all alluminum rads o nthe net, stock replacements... so might look into those a little more....

http://www.genesisautoparts.com/all_....9l_l6_239.htm

think i saw some otehrs online too
I have this radiator. It is a Silla. Mine just started leaking after under 18 months. No electrolysis. Just a Piece of complete junk.

A lot of "All aluminum radiators" are a repackaged Silla.

Avoid avoid avoid!!!
I honestly have no idea what I am going to replace it with. One has no real idea of quality until if fails, or does not. The same quality radiator somebody installed 5 years ago, is likely not made in the same plant to the same standards anymore.

I was hoping to avoid plastic tanks. I think I am just going top buy one locally and deal with whatever is available, so I can return it locally when it no doubt fails prematurely.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:03 AM
jimbo74
Veteran

good to know.... glad i didn't get that then.... i jsut hate plastic tanks..... they scare me......

Old 03-12-2012, 07:00 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In my area I have had success with having 2 old rads repaired or recored at a shop that specializes in radiator repair. A bit cheaper than getting a new one of questionable quality.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:35 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you dig up my thread posted over a year back, my radiator and water-pump are still going strong. The radiator is a Spectra Premium.

My thread listed below not only shows how to get the radiator out and such, but the entire cooling system was replaced.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...pump-dies.html

You can see the Valeo OEM made in Mexico radiator that comes with the van from the show room floor. Grant it, that radiator had about 100K miles and lasted over 10 years. Still, the way it gave out due to being copper/brass scares the begevees out of me. Never put solder-seal or any fix-in-a-can in that either.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:49 AM
jimbo74
Veteran

so.... van is down for the count.... i dont think i did any damage to the engine, but..... went up today in a big steam show as soon as i got home from doing soem errands.... needless to say, i parked it, and will be buying a new radiator tomorrow... so what is the best to get? what should i stay away from? the opinions here seem to be very contradictory

Quick Reply: need help with finding a radiator