Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Power door lock problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 04:15 PM
dgrun
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power door lock problem

HI,
I own a 1999 Ram 1500 Van. It is a Mark III conversion van. Just the other day, the power door lock remote worked fine. Then, I had some body work done, including new front passenger door and new cargo doors. The power door locks for the cargo door was taken out of the old door and installed in the new one.

the power door locks work great when using the switch in either of the front doors.

However, when I try to use the remote, nothing happens. I replaced the batteries in the remote, and still nothing.

Any ideas? The van finally looks stupendous (no more ugly stripes, no more cracked flares) and beefy. But, now the darn door lock remote doesn't work, it's always something.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:36 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

The remote system may use a different fuse than the door switches do. I'd start off simple by looking for a blown fuse.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:13 PM
dgrun
Amateur

ok, I will check the fuse box. Um, any idea where the fuse box is located?
There is a fuse panel behind the front seats that was added by Mark III when the conversion was done. Don't yet know if that completely replaced the factory fuse box.

thanks again.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:57 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

There should be one under the hood and a second one in the end of the drivers dash. You have to open the driver's door to be able to pull the access panel off.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain

Originally Posted by dgrun
...Just the other day, the power door lock remote worked fine. Then, I had some body work done, including new front passenger door and new cargo doors. The power door locks for the cargo door was taken out of the old door and installed in the new one....However, when I try to use the remote, nothing happens. I replaced the batteries in the remote, and still nothing...
Sounds to me like something the body shop should be responsible for making right, wouldn't you think? This is (or at least should be) part of their job done properly.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:01 AM
dgrun
Amateur

Rusty, yes, you make a good point. the power door locks do work, it's just that the remote doesn't work.

I looked at all the fuses and tried a key fob reprogram procedure that I found on the forum. the fuses are all intact and the reprogram procedure didn't work.

could the fob have gone bad? I replaced the batteries, like I said, but don't know how to test it.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:16 AM
dgrun
Amateur

ok, I retried the reprogram procedure. It started out working like it was supposed to, but there was no indication that the system received the signal from the fob.

I guess I will try a new fob.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:37 PM
dgrun
Amateur

ok, got a new fob. Everything works fine now. Weird that the old fob died just as I got the body work done.

Quick Reply: Power door lock problem