Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

5.2L Ram Motor In Dakota?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 09:03 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb 5.2L Ram Motor In Dakota?

I have a 1988 Dakota with a 3.9L-TBI (LA) and auto transmission. I want a 5.2L Magnum with a manual transmission, Dakota's had them 92-96 but I'm not sure if the 97+ had the same 5.2L Magnum?

Now I know the second generation Ram PICKUPS had the 5.2L Magnum from 94-01, and the third generation Ram VANS had the 5.2L Magnum from 94-03...only thing is the vans did not come with a 5-speed manual transmission?

I figure the smartest thing to do is get the newest motor I have available to me in this case not out of a Dakota (a 5.2L Magnum newer than 96) If I want an 02 or 03 motor I will have to pull it from a van with an auto transmission. I heard the torque converters are all the same between 3.9L and 5.2L engines, what about the transmissions? Will a Dakota transmission bolt right onto a Ram pick or van engine? Did they make any improvements after 1996 on the 5.2L Magnum? Or anything worth getting a 2002 or 2003 from a van instead of a pickup?

Old 04-05-2012, 08:36 AM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not much of an expert on V8 engine swaps but I can tell you one thing about the Aisin 5-speed manual transmission. Even if it bolts up to a 5.2 V8 (or even if you find a way to make it happen) I would not recommend it. My '93 Ram Van had a 5-speed Aisin and that transmission could barely handle the torque and horsepower of the 3.9. A V8 would asbolutely rip that Aisin apart.

If you really want a manual transmission you might have to look to Jeep applications for a good solution.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:40 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Originally Posted by Rusty93RamVan
I'm not much of an expert on V8 engine swaps but I can tell you one thing about the Aisin 5-speed manual transmission. Even if it bolts up to a 5.2 V8 (or even if you find a way to make it happen) I would not recommend it. My '93 Ram Van had a 5-speed Aisin and that transmission could barely handle the torque and horsepower of the 3.9. A V8 would asbolutely rip that Aisin apart.

If you really want a manual transmission you might have to look to Jeep applications for a good solution.
I was looking at an NV3500 or AX-15, the NV3500 comes out of Ram pick up trucks with 5.2L V8's. I was told running a manual transmission on a van engine with a computer designed for the original automatic van transmission might be a problem though :/

Old 04-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain

Originally Posted by pinkfloydeffect
I was told running a manual transmission on a van engine with a computer designed for the original automatic van transmission might be a problem though :/
Absolutely. There are different engine computers depending on the engine + transmission combination. If you mismatch the SMEC and the transmission you'll (at the very least) have idle speed problems and probably have to deal with a continuously illuminated CEL.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:23 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Originally Posted by Rusty93RamVan
Absolutely. There are different engine computers depending on the engine + transmission combination. If you mismatch the SMEC and the transmission you'll (at the very least) have idle speed problems and probably have to deal with a continuously illuminated CEL.
Maybe I should just stick with finding a Ram pickup with a 5-speed 318 since vans only had automatic transmissions. It would be difficult swapping and getting years close enough for computers and harnesses to match and link-up.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain

Originally Posted by pinkfloydeffect
Maybe I should just stick with finding a Ram pickup with a 5-speed 318 since vans only had automatic transmissions.
Vans in the '80s came with 4-speed manuals and inline sixes and vans in the '90s could be ordered with a 5-speed manual (AX-15) and the 3.9L six. My '93 was a 5-speed, that's how I know for sure the engine computers are different between automatics and manuals.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:02 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Yeah but I will blow an AX-15 on a 318 I need an NV3500. I was told the computer does not even monitor a manual transmission and the worst that could come out of a swap is "with a PCM that expects an auto trans, it will set some codes, and turn on the CEL. That's about the only problem I could foresee..."

Old 04-10-2012, 09:30 AM
jimbo74
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about gettign a motor (5.9l) and trans from a newer rt dakota?

Old 04-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

A 97 Dodge Ram van with the 5.2L and 36RH tranny would be the one you want to pull. That computer does not monitor the transmission except that it is in Park/Neutral. And that can be fixed by tying that wire into the clutch pedal.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:59 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Jimbo I don't want a 5.9 it's too much gas, a 5.2L should break even with what I currently get with my 3.9LA

Yup a 97' was the wiring and computer I'm after since it is OBDII (programmable for aftermarket cam) yet it does not have the central timer module system (digital odometer etc). So ONLY the 36RH? Will I find one in a 97' Ram or Dakota?

Quick Reply: 5.2L Ram Motor In Dakota?