Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Old Ram Wagon Purchase for Cross-country travel

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:49 PM
Mightymouse1111
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Ram Wagon Purchase for Cross-country travel

Hello all, just seeking some friendly advice about a van I’m thinking of buying. I need a cargo van to move back home, will be traveling 2100 miles in 2-3 days.

Asking $1,100
1987 Dodge Ram Wagon B350, 153,000 miles, 8 cylinder, original engine and transmission, 15 passenger with seats removed

Faults: No battery, no air conditioning, needs new breaks, first time it has been started in 3 years was today (didn’t start the first few times, added gas since it was on/near “E”, and it then started after a few more tries)

The car seemed to drive well but responds a little sluggish accelerate and brake. I am traveling with pets and will need to repair the A/C and purchase a battery. Maybe the brakes only need fluid? The van has sat in the same spot for 5-10 years with no use or servicing so it will need a tune up.
I love the size and power it offers and it has pretty good reviews online. However, considering the age and history, I’m not sure if I can trust it to make the 2100 mile trip.
Any thoughts on the asking price compared to the repairs necessary?
Any advice about whether to buy or keep looking? I have to keep total cost including repairs under $2,000, but I can probably talk him down on his price a bit. I plan on selling after reaching my destination (Indianapolis).

Thanks in advance
Joe

Old 04-17-2012, 01:02 AM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome.

The first thing you should be aware of is that parts for these trucks are not cheap. Most of us have found them to be very reliable. But when its time to do the maintenance you do pay the price.

You will want to replace air filter, plugs, plug wires and distributer cap and rotor immediately. I would change the transmission fluid and at least top off the rear axle with 75/90w. If you drive it for a few days and see signs of leakage around the rear axle cover, I'd go ahead and change that gear oil.

If the a/c hasn't worked in years and is not pressurized I'd assume the compressor is bad. So at minimum, compressor, accumulator, 134a charge. If you have all the equipment and an EPA license you can do this yourself for $300, otherwise figure triple that.

The disk brake calipers are known to rust and stick, which kills any chance of gas milage so you must replace and lube the caliper pins (at least) when you replace the pads. With that milage and sitting, you are better off replacing the calipers. Not much happens to the back brakes so you can probably get away with new brake shoes and new retainer hardware. Check the wheel cylinders for signs of leaks while it is apart.

Seals usually go bad when a vehicle sits, so you will want to inspect it underneath very carefully. A rear main seal is an expensive proposition. You can do it yourself for much less of course but it takes a couple of days and it is a lot of work.

I guess you could get Hancook or similar cheap tires if you are only driving it one way and plan to get rid of it.

I don't mean to scare you but it's going to be easier to deal with this in advance, or at least think about it, rather than with a loaded vehicle that died halfway to your destination

Last edited by blackvan; 04-17-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:12 AM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot a critical one: these radiators are prone to failure. Flush the system and check the back of the radiator for green streaks and leaks. If it is leaking, bars leak or the aluminum powder stuff won't fix it, you will have to replace it. Radiators start at $185. Check the water pump for dripping or rust trails from the weep hole too.

Last edited by blackvan; 04-17-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:35 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default just walk away

I would offer the man about $250 for the van. His only other option is the junk yard for that age/condition of vehicle. You are going to easily put in lots of time and energy and money for parts for this old beast and hope to be able to do most of the work yourself, or much more $$$ if having the work done. If it was in driving shape, like maybe used on occasion instead of just sitting, then it would be worth more. The worst thing you can do with a vehicle is let it sit and rust.

I just purchased last Christmas an '01 B2500 work van with 152K for $3000. It was an everyday driver when I got it, but I still put about $300 into it before taking it on a 2100 mile trip in February with the wife. It still needs tires, but I am waiting for a sale, or a rich uncle to die before investing in LT tires.

Why not just rent a moving van if you are planning on getting rid of it after the trip? Might be more cost effective and safer.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:05 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A van or even a vehicle sitting without being driven much for nearly a decade would have internal rotted brake hoses. I would not at all trust it for a cross country drive.

Quick Reply: Old Ram Wagon Purchase for Cross-country travel