Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

air intake kit's

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 06:15 AM
a1mfw
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air intake kit's

Wondering if anybody has installed an air intake kit onto their van? Have not found a direct fit for the van's. Figured could try an universal kit or look up one for the Dodge truck.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Supradude
Rookie

My 94 has a ram air intake, all I had to do was remove the debris deflection plate at the grill intake.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:23 PM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by blackvan; 08-24-2016 at 08:24 PM. Reason: removed by me
Old 05-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Supradude
Rookie

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-g...0/IMG_2312.JPG

Last edited by Supradude; 05-06-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain

Originally Posted by Supradude
My 94 has a ram air intake, all I had to do was remove the debris deflection plate at the grill intake.
These air intakes already pick up lots of small stones and bug bodies, so I can only imagine the amount of junk you probably collect in your filter housing without the deflection plate installed.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Supradude
Rookie

I certainly do, I install a new wix filter more often than most. I also re-routed my PCV system from the outside of the air filter where it sucks copius amounts of that debris and dirt right into your crankcase through the PCV valve turning your motor oil to sludge, to an external filter. I learned that little trick years ago on my 68 dodge A100. It keeps your oil nice a clean long term.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:39 AM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain

Originally Posted by Supradude
I also re-routed my PCV system from the outside of the air filter where it sucks copius amounts of that debris and dirt right into your crankcase through the PCV valve turning your motor oil to sludge, to an external filter.
The round metal filter on top of the valve cover is supposed to catch that debris before it goes into the engine, no?

Old 05-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Supradude
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rusty93RamVan
The round metal filter on top of the valve cover is supposed to catch that debris before it goes into the engine, no?
It might catch rocks and bugs, but does nothing to stop fine dirt from being sucked into your crank case. Most vehicles these days have that same connection but inside the air filter so there isn't a steady stream of dirt being sucked into the crank case. Our lame design and most from many years before kind of makes you wonder, do you think the engineers just missed that or is it intentional built in obsolecense, which eventually killed detriot. It reminds me of the EGR valve, which sucks diamond hard exhaust particles right into your intake manifold, then on into your combustion chamber, aint that just the best thing to be shoving into your combustion chamber un filtered, heck the darn air is filtered, the oil is filtered, why is it that exhaust chunks are okay? Laughs.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain

Yes, but the flow is the other way meaning that crankcase generated oil mist comes out the valve cover thru the fibre filter (steel wool) in the metal canister then thru the hose into the air cleaner on the outside ring of the air filter.

The crankcase mist is mixed with air from the scoop then cleaned again by the round filter in the canister assembly before going into the throttle body. So I fail to see how debris is affecting the quality of your oil -- that can't happen. Only internal combustion is to blame for your oil's condition.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:36 PM
Supradude
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rusty93RamVan
Yes, but the flow is the other way meaning that crankcase generated oil mist comes out the valve cover thru the fibre filter (steel wool) in the metal canister then thru the hose into the air cleaner on the outside ring of the air filter.

The crankcase mist is mixed with air from the scoop then cleaned again by the round filter in the canister assembly before going into the throttle body. So I fail to see how debris is affecting the quality of your oil -- that can't happen. Only internal combustion is to blame for your oil's condition.
I apologize I should have been more clear about exactly where I use a filter in my PCV system, I added a little picture to help show what I do, and how the PCV system works. This way you can see how dirt is drawn in through the crankcase breather cap, then into the crankcase, then the air is evacuated out out of the crankcase via the PCV valve directly into the intake manifold.

Attached Thumbnails air intake kit's-pcv.jpg  

Quick Reply: air intake kit's