Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

intake frustration

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012 | 11:29 AM
Hawkstr
|
Rookie
Exclamation intake frustration

Alright I get my 97 Dodge B2500 5.2 all back together, go to fire it up and was like this isn't running right. So shut it down, looked over everything and it checked out fine. Started it again and was like what the heck, there is a small amount of coolant that is leaking down the side of the right cylinder head.

It's seeping right about the corner right where the ATV sits. The intake bolts are torqued to 12 ft lbs per the manual, put enough ATV that it is bulging out a little out of all 4 corners, this is not my first time doing an intake (but it is the first time I have had an issue with one).

Is there something I might be missing? Would rather not take it all apart again, but its starting to look like I will need to. As the only thing I didn't do that I do normally is check for flatness of the intake. Not looking forward to taking all this out again.

Any suggestions of what to look for would be helpful

Thanks

Old 11-17-2012 | 12:08 PM
blackvan
All Star

I had that happen to me once when I inadvertently over-torqued the intake manifold bolts on a Ford 351C.

You probably did all this but.. my 2000 Dodge factory service manual shows a specific tightening sequence for this intake. It indicates it has to be done in 12 inch pound increments. You begin in the middle and work outward: 1-4 then 5-12, and then all bolts.

Old 11-17-2012 | 12:38 PM
blackvan
All Star

Last edited by blackvan; 07-31-2016 at 03:12 AM. Reason: removed by me
Old 11-17-2012 | 01:49 PM
Hawkstr
|
Rookie

coolant leak fixed, but have a pop now

Not all the time, 1 time at start up, another as it was starting to warm up, once when throttle it.

Starting to wonder if I should had replaced the intake pan plate (kicking myself for not doing it as it was only a $24 part direct from Chrysler) .... The pop is almost like a pre-ignition ping or like taking a dent out of a plastic water bottle (so I am told due to I cannot hear it myself). As it is being explained to me more, almost like a sticky valve snapping back into place. Might have to check it with valve covers off to make sure this is not the issue (sad too looks so pretty all clean and painted).

Guess the van is just telling me it wants more new parts before it will let me put miles on it again

Last edited by Hawkstr; 11-17-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-17-2012 | 02:05 PM
blackvan
All Star

Last edited by blackvan; 07-31-2016 at 03:12 AM. Reason: removed by me
Old 11-17-2012 | 02:10 PM
Hawkstr
|
Rookie

I was told it sounds like the ping in this video fast forward to 1:11, but mine is when it starts and runs, have not had it warmed up due to don't want to damage anything

Old 11-17-2012 | 02:19 PM
blackvan
All Star

Last edited by blackvan; 07-31-2016 at 03:26 AM. Reason: removed by me
Old 11-17-2012 | 02:31 PM
Hawkstr
|
Rookie

Originally Posted by blackvan
Sorry, but I can't hear any engine ping and I played it twice. I hear a crackling noise at :31 that I couldn't identify.

After 1:11 with the motor shut off, I hear a steady pinging that I thought was an ignition chime and sounds of metal expansion. I hear a sound like that from the aluminum frame I built for my e-fan after I shut off my engine. It's normal and doesn't mean that anything is wrong.
was told at 1:12, 1:15 and 1:18 there is the tick sound with background chime running also. But my ping is first start and running, have not had it warmed up so don't know if it will do it after shut down (doesn't as of yet but then have only ran it off and on for about 2 min) Because if its a bad valve don't want it snapping off into the motor and trashing it.

Old 11-17-2012 | 04:04 PM
blackvan
All Star

Last edited by blackvan; 07-31-2016 at 03:13 AM. Reason: removed by me
Old 11-17-2012 | 04:29 PM
Hawkstr
|
Rookie

yea and that is not mine, that is just a video I pulled from youtube to give an example of the sound mine is making while it (starts and while running).

The parts counter had closed already, so first thing Monday will order up the upgraded plenum belly plate. When I remove the intake to install will look over the valve train to see if anything is goofy .... Just kind of still kicking myself for not putting this on before hand. Guess can view it as better late then never

Quick Reply: intake frustration