Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

94 Ram Van won't spark - need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 05:22 PM
SBrown
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Ram Van won't spark - need suggestions

Hi,

I have a 94 Dodge Ram van b150 V8 318 and it won't spark until the duel start relay starts to click and then stops and the vacuum lines pressurize. After which it used to start, but not lately. This was a problem that got gradually worse over a couple of weeks until one day it stopped running completely. Now only once in a while will the duel start relay click but it won't compelely turn over any more. It back fires and tries until the battery dies on me.

I purchased it from my brother recently who tried to clean the engine while running. It caught fire but was put out quickly. He replaced the vacuum lines that melted and it actually ran after that. Since I purchased it, I've had nothing but problems.

Here's what I've done so far to solve the problem: Replaced the burned wiring harness', plugs, plug wires, coil wire (coil tested good), roter and cap, pick-up coil, fuel filter and pump, new battery and a new duel start relay. I've had a local shop run a diagnostics on it (limited, since it won't start) and the only thing they could suggest was the wiring harness' which I've replaced and still nothing. The dealer can't even offer any suggestions.

Here are my questions: It there something that causes the vacuum lines to pressurize other than the fuel pump (since I've already put a new one on) that could cause this problem? Could a different part I haven't changed be the problem? Any suggestions would be very helpful. This, unfortunatly, is my work van and I can't go to work without it. I've worked on it for 4 days now and nothing I've tried has worked.

Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: 94 Ram Van won't spark - need suggestions